Legends Spoil No Hit Bid in Series Finale
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - The Lexington Legends fell in the series finale with the Augusta GreenJackets, 9-1 on Monday night. The Legends recorded their first hit in the bottom of the eighth inning, spoiling the no-hit bid by the GreenJackets.
A two-run blast by Jacob Gonzalez in the top of the fourth inning put the GreenJackets on the board, 2-0.
In the top of the fifth inning, Augusta led off with back-to-back singles by Shane Matheny and Andres Angulo. Ismael Munguia then ripped a two-run single to left field, extending the GreenJackets' lead, 4-0. Simon Whiteman then sent a single to centerfield, plating Munguia. Francisco Tostado then smashed a two-run homer to right field and Lexington trailed, 7-0.
Augusta scored their final runs in the top of the seventh inning. Mikey Edie was hit by a pitch then advanced to third on two wild pitches. Whiteman then drew a walk and there were two runners on. Diego Rincones then lined an RBI single to right field while Whiteman moved to third. A sacrifice fly by Tostado scored Whiteman and the GreenJackets led, 9-0.
The Legends broke up the no hitter in the bottom of the eighth inning. Rubendy Jaquez led off with a groundball to the second baseman who bobbled it and was able to reach base. Brhet Bewley then bounced an RBI single down the left field line to plate Jaquez and the Legends were on the board, 9-1.
Seth Corry was awarded the victory tossing 5.2 innings of hitless baseball while walking one and striking out a career high, 10 batters. CJ Eldred was given the loss for Lexington pitching 5.0 innings allowing seven runs on nine hits while striking out two.
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 29, 2019
- Corry Continues to Dominate, Jackets Beat Lexington 9-1 - Augusta GreenJackets
- 'Dogs Withstand 'Birds, Salvage Split - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Take Finale 4-3 over Braves in 10 Innings - Rome Braves
- Heeeeeeerrrrre's Jhony, Brito Solid as RiverDogs Use Big Third to Finish Road Trip on a High Note - Charleston RiverDogs
- Legends Spoil No Hit Bid in Series Finale - Lexington Legends
- Parra Leads Tourists to Big Win in Hickory - Asheville Tourists
- Novoa Homers But 'Dads Fall - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Sweep Fireflies in Four Games - Hagerstown Suns
- Columbia Closes out Homestand, Granadillo Records First Hit as Firefly - Columbia Fireflies
- Power to Host African American Heritage Night August 5 - West Virginia Power
- Bullpen Propels Power to Series Finale Win in Extras - West Virginia Power
- Bush and Schmidt Named Back-To-Back Pitchers of the Week - Asheville Tourists
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Pelletier Saves Games, Then Wins It - Lakewood BlueClaws
- RiverDogs Go Nuts, Drop Helicopters Worth of Fun in Upcoming Homestand - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Notes (July 29) - West Virginia Power
- Devin Sweet Provides Sour Afternoon for Rome - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Lexington Legends Announce Postseason Activities
- Lexington Adds MLB Veteran Eric Young Jr., Cole Sturgeon, Chris Proctor
- Legends Add Former Cincinnati Red Ivan De Jesus Jr.
- Phillips Brothers Join the Lexington Legends
- Commonwealth of Kentucky Shines as Lexington Releases Rosters for Battle of the Bourbon Trail