Legends Falter in Game Two
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - The Lexington Legends fell in game two, 8-0 to the Kannapolis Intimidators. Lexington falls to 51-50 on the season while the Intimidators improve to 45-56.
Kannapolis plated their first runs of the game in the top of the fourth inning. Andrew Vaughn led off with a single to right field then advanced to second base on a wild pitch. Corey Zangari then lined an RBI double to right centerfield and the Intimidators were on the board, 1-0. Romy Gonzalez then moved Zangari to third on another single. Amado Nunez then hit a fielder's choice to the third baseman, Nate Eaton and Zangari was able to beat the throw home. With runners at first and second, Michael Hickman blasted a three-run homer to right field and Kannapolis led 5-0 after the fourth inning.
In the top of the seventh inning, Hickman drew a leadoff walk then scored on an RBI double to left field by Camilo Quinteiro. Vaughn then smacked a two-run home run to right field, extending Kanapolis' lead, 8-0.
Jason Bilous was awarded the victory tossing 5.0 shutout innings allowing four hits while walking two and striking out seven. CJ Eldred was given the loss pitching 5.0 innings allowing five runs on seven hits while striking out six.
Lexington and Kannapolis face off for the series finale tomorrow, July 25 at 7:05pm. RHP Zach Haake will be on the bump for the Legends to face RHP Kevin Folman for the Intimidators.
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
Images from this story
Chase Vallot of the Lexington Legends at the plate
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 24, 2019
- Zangari's Two Homers Not Enough in 5-4 Loss - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Kannapolis Bats Come Alive in 8-0 Rout over Lexington - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Shorebirds Blank Drive Twice - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Drop Third Straight Behind BlueClaws Comeback - Charleston RiverDogs
- Mauricio Records 25th Multi-Hit Game in Fireflies Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- Matos, Claws Walk-Off 4-3 Winners in 10 on Wednesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crawdads out Power with 2-1 Victory - Hickory Crawdads
- Offense Starts Early, Irvin Shuts Down Braves - Hagerstown Suns
- Corry, Seelinger, Walker Combine for 5th Shutout of 2019 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Johnson Twirls Career-Best 5.2 Innings in 2-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 24 vs. Augusta (Game 99) - Columbia Fireflies
- Legends Falter in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Parra Once Again Shines in Greensboro but T's Come up Short - Asheville Tourists
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (July 24) - West Virginia Power
- Cullen Plays Hero in Rome Walk-Off Win - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Legends Clinch Back-To-Back South Atlantic League Championships with Late Inning Theatrics
- Hickory Hands Lexington First Playoff Loss
- Legends Headed Back to SAL Championship Series
- Lexington's Emma Tiedemann Named SAL Media Relations Director of the Year
- Lexington Powers Down West Virginia with Doubleheader Sweep