LB Gary Johnson Returns to Riders, WR Peake Signed
The Saskatchewan Roughriders have announced the following roster moves:
American linebacker Gary Johnson Jr.
American wide receiver Charone Peake
Johnson (6'0 - 230 lbs) will return to the Roughriders through the 2022 season after initially joining the team in October of 2019. The 24-year-old signed with the Kansas City Chiefs as an undrafted free agent but attended 2019 training camp with Washington Football Team. Johnson played in two preseason games for Washington making three tackles.
In a two-year collegiate career at the University of Texas, Johnson recorded 150 tackles, 22.5 tackles for loss, eight-and-a-half sacks and three forced fumbles in 26 games. His success saw him named to the 2018 Bednarik Award and Butkus Award watch lists and to the second team All-Big 12. Prior to becoming a Longhorn, the Alabama native was a highly ranked junior college prospect at Dodge City Community College. Johnson holds a school-record 215 tackles over two seasons while also adding 11.5 sacks and five interceptions.
Peake (5'10-205lbs) joins the Roughriders after four years in the NFL, almost exclusively with the New York Jets. The Jets selected Peake in the seventh round (241st overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft. He went on to play 31 games and made 22 receptions for 214 yards and 9.7 yard average. The 28-year-old spent the early part of 2020 with the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Collegiately, Peake played five seasons at Clemson appearing in 51 games and made 99 receptions for 1,172 yards and 10 touchdowns. The South Carolina had a particularly strong senior year where he overcame injury to be named co-captain and become the Tigers second-leading receiver with 50 catches for 716 yards and five touchdowns. Peake was rewarded for his comeback with an invite to the 2016 Senior Bowl.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from January 8, 2021
- Jorden Remains with Red and White - Calgary Stampeders
- Stampeders Sign Prukop and Pinto - Calgary Stampeders
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Agree to Terms on One-Year Extension with Defensive End Jackson Jeffcoat - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Stamps Ink Local Product Sceviour - Calgary Stampeders
- LB Gary Johnson Returns to Riders, WR Peake Signed - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Alouettes Sign Canadian Defensive Back Marc-Antoine Dequoy to a Three-Year Deal - Montreal Alouettes
- Blue Bombers Agree to Terms with Winnipeg-Born Lineman Geoff Gray, Linebackers Shayne Gauthier and Tobi Antigha - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Star Wide Receiver Derel Walker Returns to the EE Football Team - EE Football Team
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.