Star Wide Receiver Derel Walker Returns to the EE Football Team
(Edmonton) - The Edmonton Football Team announces today they have signed American Wide Receiver and four-time CFL Divisional all-star Derel Walker.
Walker is back for his third stint with the EE Football team. He began his CFL career with the team in 2015, beginning the season on the practice roster. Walker made his debut in week 8 versus the Montreal Alouettes where he recorded 10 receptions for 125 yards. The Texas A&M product would end up playing in 12 games that season, recording 89 receptions (an Edmonton rookie record), 1110 receiving yards, and six touchdowns. He would cap the season off by capturing the 103rd Grey Cup, the CFL Rookie of the Year honours, and a CFL all-star nod.
Walker built upon his rookie success in his second season in Green and Gold. He led the league in both receptions (109) and receiving yards (1589), adding 10 touchdowns. He was named both a West Division and CFL all-star for the second consecutive year. Walker's performance garnered NFL interest in the off-season, signing with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He was released at the end of NFL training camps and returned to the EE Football Team for the remainder of the 2017 season. In abbreviated action, Walker would finish the season with eight games played, 48 receptions, 634 yards, and two touchdowns.
In 2018, Walker would start 11 games before an injury in the Labour Day Classic against the Calgary Stampeders sidelined him for the remainder of the season. He finished the year with 51 receptions, 875 yards, and 8 touchdowns. Despite only playing in 11 games, he was named a West Division all-star for the third time in his career.
In 2019, Walker signed with the Toronto Argonauts in free-agency. He would finish the season as an East Division all-star.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from January 8, 2021
- Jorden Remains with Red and White - Calgary Stampeders
- Stampeders Sign Prukop and Pinto - Calgary Stampeders
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Agree to Terms on One-Year Extension with Defensive End Jackson Jeffcoat - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Stamps Ink Local Product Sceviour - Calgary Stampeders
- LB Gary Johnson Returns to Riders, WR Peake Signed - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Alouettes Sign Canadian Defensive Back Marc-Antoine Dequoy to a Three-Year Deal - Montreal Alouettes
- Blue Bombers Agree to Terms with Winnipeg-Born Lineman Geoff Gray, Linebackers Shayne Gauthier and Tobi Antigha - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Star Wide Receiver Derel Walker Returns to the EE Football Team - EE Football Team
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.