Lawal's Goal Lifts Fresno Past El Farolito in Second Round of US Open Cup
N FRANCISCO - Forward Qudus Lawal found himself in the right place at the right time, putting away a late goal to lift Fresno FC past El Farolito in the second round of the U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday. Lawal pounced on a goalkeeper's mistake at the 74th minute and put away the finish to give Los Zorros a 1-0 victory over El Farolito of the National Premier Soccer League.
It was by no means an easy contest, according to Fresno head coach Adam Smith, but Fresno pulled out the win on a wet and windy afternoon at San Francisco's Boxer Stadium.
"Sometimes you have to win ugly, and today we won ugly, but we won," Smith said after the match.
Fresno saw several opportunities to grab the lead miss their target through the opening 45 minutes, frustrating Smith and his side. Midfielder Jorge Escamilla created the best chance of the half, finding Jemal Johnson on a through ball into the penalty area, however, Johnson's shot was denied by the crossbar. Captain Juan Pablo Caffa had three opportunities from direct free kicks in the first half, with his attempt at the 14th missing into the side netting.
In the second half, Diego Casillas saw a chance at the 64th but his shot was blocked and Renato's attempt on the rebound was also stopped by an El Farolito defender. Fresno eventually cracked through at the 75th on Lawal's third goal in two games. Johnson nearly doubled the lead nine minutes later, but his low shot missed wide right. El Farolito had three chances, including one in stoppage time that was saved by starting goalkeeper Sam Howard. Howard finished the afternoon with three saves.
Fresno will face tonight's winner between Reno 1868 FC and Sacramento Republic FC in the third round scheduled for Wednesday, May 29.
Los Zorros return to USL Championship action in one week, when they host Austin Bold FC next Wednesday, May 22 at Chukchansi Park. Kickoff is 7:30 p.m. Tickets are on sale now at FresnoFC.com, the stadium box office or by calling 559-320-2525.
EL MEXICANO MAN OF THE MATCH: QUDUS LAWAL
Lawal was in the right place at the right time, as he knocked in the game-winning goal. It was his third goal in two games.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 15, 2019
- Legion FC Win First U.S. Open Cup Match - Birmingham Legion FC
- Indy Eleven Advances in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with 1-0 Win over Lansing Ignite FC - Indy Eleven
- North Carolina FC Dominates Richmond 4-1 in Open Cup Victory - North Carolina FC
- Lawal's Goal Lifts Fresno Past El Farolito in Second Round of US Open Cup - Fresno FC
- Lights Letter: May Partner News - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Nashville SC Brings Right Mindset in 3-2 U.S. Open Cup Win over Tormenta FC 2 - Nashville SC
- Party by the Pitch Returns with Drink Special - Nashville SC
- Real Monarchs SLC FW Luis Palma Named to Honduras FIFA U-20 World Cup Roster - Real Monarchs SLC
- Fresno FC at El Farolito in US Open Cup Second Round - Fresno FC
- Young Fury FC Players Looking to Shine in Second CapCity Cup - Ottawa Fury FC
- Alan Winn Takes Advantage of Opportunities in Last Two Starts - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC Launches SAFC Youth Club Affiliate Network - San Antonio FC
- Hartford Athletic to Recognize Military and First Responders on Memorial Day Weekend Matchup - Hartford Athletic
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 11 - USL
- Three Things: Rowdies 4 - 1 The Villages SC - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Indy Eleven to Face Detroit City FC in August Exhibition - Indy Eleven
- Lights FC Kicks off Us Open Cup Action with 2-0 Victory in #wynalderby - Las Vegas Lights FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- Zorros Beat Austin 1-0 to Move into 2nd Place in USL West
- USL Championship Match 10 Preview: Fresno FC vs. Austin Bold FC
- Lawal's Goal Lifts Fresno Past El Farolito in Second Round of US Open Cup
- Fresno FC at El Farolito in US Open Cup Second Round
- Fresno FC Adds Jems Geffrard & Matias Fernandez to 2019 Roster