Late Rome Runs Keep Suns at Bay
ROME, GA - A late charge from the Hagerstown Suns was held at Bay by three seventh and eighth inning runs from the Rome Braves to defeat Hagerstown 8-4 at State Mutual Stadium Sunday afternoon.
Despite a Jackson Cluff two-bagger that scored Gilbert Lara and Justin Connell bringing Hagerstown within one in the top of the sixth, the Suns (32-42, 2-2) bullpen could not keep the Braves (32-41, 2-2) bats silent to end the game.
Rome took advantage of Tomas Alastre (L, 3-7) early, when Greg Cullen homered to right to break the scoreless tie in the bottom of the first.
After Hagerstown tied the game in the top of the fourth with a Lara double that scored Jacob Rhinesmith, the Braves pulled in front again in the bottom of the inning, utilizing an Alastre wild pitch to lead 2-1.
Hagerstown knotted it up again in the top of the fifth off the bat of streaking Kyle Marinconz. The nine hole hitter skied a sacrifice fly to center that was deep enough to score catcher Tyler Cropley.
In the bottom of the fifth, the Braves pulled ahead for the final time, scoring three runs from a Justin Dean triple and a Cullen single.
Alan Rangel (W, 6-4) emerged with the win working six innings and allowing three earned runs off six hits and a pair of walks.
The Suns brought Jackson Stoeckinger and Jared Brasher out of the bullpen for the final three frames. Stoeckinger offered a pair of innings while allowing two hits and a run and Brasher finished the game out alllowing a run in the ninth.
Tomorrow Hagerstown travels to North Carolina to face the Crawdads. RHP Reid Schaller will make his South Atlantic League debut for the Suns, while Hickory has yet to name their starter.
The Suns are in the midst of a seven-game road trip against the Rome Braves and the Hickory Crawdads June 20-26. The Suns then return to Municipal Stadium for a seven game homestand against the Delmarva Shorebirds and Greensboro Grasshoppers that includes plenty of promotions, including Thirsty Thursday, Ghostbusters/80's Night, Sunday Funday, and Salute to America. For tickets or more information visit hagerstownsuns.com or call 301-791-6266.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Stowers' Longball Not Enough to Mount RiverDogs Comeback - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Offense Explodes in Series Finale against Asheville - Columbia Fireflies
- Gonzalez & Aparicio Collect Three Hits in Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Kannapolis Notches First Series Win of Second Half - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Fall in Extra Frames 4-3 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Can't Stop Drive in Series Finale - Lexington Legends
- Asheville Battles But Loses Wild Day Game - Asheville Tourists
- Rome Earns Series Split with 8-4 Win vs Hagerstown - Rome Braves
- Late Rome Runs Keep Suns at Bay - Hagerstown Suns
- Vespi Flexes, 'Birds Blank 'Hoppers Again - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Late BlueClaws Rally Sinks Power in Finale - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 23 at Asheville (Game 70) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 23) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.