Rome Earns Series Split with 8-4 Win vs Hagerstown
ROME, GA - The Rome Braves offense enjoyed a strong afternoon en route to an 8-4 win over the Hagerstown Suns on Sunday. The victory allowed Rome to split their four game series with Hagerstown at State Mutual Stadium.
The Braves bats wasted little time in attacking Suns starter RHP Tomas Alastre as Greg Cullen ripped a solo homer out to right in the Bottom of the 1st inning. It was Cullen's fifth homerun of the season.
After the Suns tied it up at 1-1 Rome took the lead back as Braden Shewmake scored on a wild pitch in the 4th inning. Hagerstown once again tied the game, this time making it 2-2 by taking advantage of an error. The third time Rome would take the lead in the game would prove to be the last time.
The Braves scored three runs on four hits in the 5th inning to make it 5-2. The rally was highlighted by a two run triple from Justin Dean out to deep right field. Cullen then added an infield single for another tally.
When the Suns cut the lead to 5-4 in the 6th inning Rome answered with a run in the 7th on a Shewmake RBI single and two more runs in the 8th on an RBI hit from Darling Florentino and a throwing error, which sailed into the visitors' dugout. Relievers RHP William Woods and Ryan Shetter combined to throw 3 scoreless innings out of the bullpen to close it out for Rome.
Shewmake went 3-4 with an RBI. Cullen was 2-3 with a homer, walk and two RBI. Dean was 1-5 with a triple and two RBI. Ariel Montesino was 2-4 with a double and two runs scored. Henry Quintero went 2-4 with two runs scored.
Rome continues the homestand by welcoming the Southern Division rival Charleston RiverDogs to town for a three game series beginning Monday evening. First pitch from State Mutual Stadium is slated for 7 pm. Rome will start RHP Victor Vodnik (1-1, 1.70). Charleston has not announced their starting pitcher for the series opener.
Rome Braves (2-2, 32-41): 8 R 13 H 1 E
Hagerstown Suns (2-2, 32-42): 4 R 6 H 2 E
W: Alan Rangel (6-4)
L: Tomas Alastre (3-7)
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Stowers' Longball Not Enough to Mount RiverDogs Comeback - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Offense Explodes in Series Finale against Asheville - Columbia Fireflies
- Gonzalez & Aparicio Collect Three Hits in Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Kannapolis Notches First Series Win of Second Half - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Fall in Extra Frames 4-3 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Can't Stop Drive in Series Finale - Lexington Legends
- Asheville Battles But Loses Wild Day Game - Asheville Tourists
- Rome Earns Series Split with 8-4 Win vs Hagerstown - Rome Braves
- Late Rome Runs Keep Suns at Bay - Hagerstown Suns
- Vespi Flexes, 'Birds Blank 'Hoppers Again - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Late BlueClaws Rally Sinks Power in Finale - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 23 at Asheville (Game 70) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 23) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.