Late Rally Thwarts Schaumburg Comeback
SCHAUMBURG, IL - The defending Frontier League champion Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, rallied from a 4-0 deficit but dropped an 8-6 contest late at the hands of the Washington Wild Things who became the first team in the Frontier League to clinch a playoff slot.
Washington built a 4-0 lead in the game by scoring once in the first and tacking on three in the third. Collin Ferguson started the Schaumburg comeback by logging a two-run single in the bottom of the fourth. Clint Hardy tied the game with a two-run homer in the sixth. Zack Weigel doubled home Tyler Wolfe in the seventh, putting the Boomers ahead 5-4. Washington responded with four runs in the eighth to take the lead again. Schaumburg brought the tying run to the plate in the eighth and put the tying runs on base in the ninth but fell short.
Nick Oddo doubled twice and finished with three hits for the Boomers, who tallied nine in the game. Ferguson and Weigel tallied two apiece. Weigel extended his franchise record on-base streak to 46 games, the longest in the league this season and believed to be the second longest in league history. Kit Fowler started and worked six innings in a no-decision. Darrell Thompson suffered the loss. Dylan Stutsman struck out three of the four batters he faced in 1.1 scoreless innings.
The Boomers (44-48) play at home for the final time this season on Thursday night at 6:30 p.m. on Fan Appreciation Night featuring postgame fireworks. RHP Chris Powell (0-4, 2.38) takes the ball for the Boomers against RHP Chase Cunningham (7-6, 4.55). Don't miss out on the final home night of the season. Make the Boomers part of your plans by calling (847) 461-3695.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 29, 2018
- Big Otters Ninth Inning Downs Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Overpower Grizzlies to Move into Tie for Second Wild Card - Evansville Otters
- Offense Struggles in Miners Loss to Rascals - Southern Illinois Miners
- Late Rally Thwarts Schaumburg Comeback - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Even Series with Big Win over Miners - River City Rascals
- Freedom Split Doubleheader against Normal - Florence Freedom
- CornBelters Split Doubleheader at Florence - Normal CornBelters
- Beach Bums Split Doubleheader with Slammers - Traverse City Beach Bums
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Schaumburg Boomers Stories
- Schaumburg Boomers Announce 2019 Promotions Schedule
- Akiem Hicks Charity Softball Game Scheduled for June 15, 2019 at Boomers Stadium
- Boomers Re-Sign Jones & Thompson
- Boomers Re-Sign DiPasquale and Stutsman; Add Martinez and Sierra
- Boomers Re-Sign Four from 2018