Late game heroics salvage a point for Sacramento in mid-week contest
SACRAMENTO, California - A 1-1 draw was the result in Republic FC's return to Heart Health Park on Wednesday night. A late score from Darek Formella secured a point for Sacramento after Los Dos broke a 0-0 tie in the 57th minute. The Indomitable club manufactured chances to score all night long, finishing with a season-high 26 shots taken while holding 57% possession over their Southern California foes.
A number of opportunities put Sacramento in control early, as Mark Briggs' men would manufacture nine chances to score before halftime. Maalique Foster nearly put Sacramento ahead in just the 4thminute, when he intercepted a weak pass to Los Dos' goalkeeper, but his attempt went just wide of the target. Foster would put up another great look in the 12th minute, but Justin vomSteeg would get a hand on it to deflect it out.
"Over the course of the season, it's not that we haven't created opportunities," said Head Coach Mark Briggs. "We've moved the ball, created opportunities and put ourselves in dangerous areas. But to win games, we need to be good in the defensive 18-yard box and the attacking 18-yard box, and we haven't been good enough in either."
Sacramento was denied by good defense on more than one occasion in the opening half. Dan Casey and Luis Felipe each had a shot blocked by Galaxy II defenders in the 14th and 15th minutes as Republic FC continued to knock on the door.
After Sacramento was denied a score on a set piece, Los Dos would break the tie in the 57th minute. Forward Preston Judd opened the scoring to give the visitors a 1-0 advantage after breaking away in transition and collecting a through pass from Joshua Drack.
Republic FC would nearly pull even minutes later, but what looked to be Cam Iwasa's eighth score of the season was called back for offside. The forward headed in a Pete Pennanen corner kick in the 63rd, but the forward would be flagged for offside after jumping forward just a second too early.
Sacramento continued to threaten, but was unable to put an attempt on target. Pete Pennanen nearly put one inside the far post in the 67th, and Darek Formella found Maalique Foster on an excellent through ball in the 70th, but Foster was flagged for offside.
Darek Formella would get Sacramento on the board to pull even at the death in the 88th minute. After an Emil Cuello shot from 30 yards out went off the crossbar, Iwasa fielded the rebound and found the feet of Formella, who put it in to pull Republic FC even late. The score was his seventh of the season, tying him with Cam Iwasa for the team lead in goals.
Republic FC will resume action this Sunday against Tacoma Defiance. Kickoff is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. from Heart Health Park, and the match will be broadcast live on KQCA My58, Estrella TV Sacramento, and ESPN+.
Sacramento Republic FC 1 - 1 LA Galaxy II
Heart Health Park, Sacramento, California
October 13, 2021
Scoring Summary: SAC- Darek Formella (Cam Iwasa) 87' LA- Preston Judd (Joshua Drack) 57'
Misconduct Summary: SAC -Dan Casey (caution) 66', Luis Felipe (caution) 90'LA - Joshua Drack (caution) 25', Carlos Harvey (caution) 55'
Sacramento Republic FC: Carlos Saldaña, Jordan McCrary, Hayden Sargis, Dan Casey, Duke Lacroix, Pete Pennanen (C) (Jaime Villarreal 82'), Luis Felipe, Darek Formella, Kharlton Belmar (Emil Cuello 66'),Maalique Foster (Jerome Kiesewetter 82'), Cam Iwasa
Unused substitutes: Rafa Diaz, Shannon Gomez, Mario Penagos, Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu
Stats - Shots: 26, Shots on Goal: 5, Saves: 6, Fouls: 14, Corner Kicks: 8, Offsides: 4
LA Galaxy II: Justin vomSteeg, Cameron Dunbar (Remi Cabral 65'), Carlos Harvey (Ascel Essengue 90'), Josh Drack, Preston Judd, Taylor Davila (Marcus Ferkranus 74'), Jesus Vazquez, Jorge Hernandez, Daniel Aguirre, Jalen Neal, Owen Lambe
Unused substitutes: Eric Lopez, Gerson Chavez, Juan Calderon, Victor Valdez
Stats - Shots: 13, Shots on Goal: 7, Saves: 4, Fouls: 11, Corner Kicks: 5, Offsides: 2
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 14, 2021
- Everything You Need to Know When Orange County SC Visit Oakland Roots SC in Week 26 - Orange County SC
- New Mexico United Launches 2022 Season Tickets, Allows Fans to Put Down Deposits Now - New Mexico United
- What to Watch Across USL: Week 26 - Sacramento Republic FC
- USL Issues Fine, Forfeit to Sporting Kansas City II for Ineligible Player - Sporting Kansas City II
- Atlanta United 2 Awarded 3-0 Victory; USL Issues Fine, Forfeit to Sporting Kansas City II for Ineligible Player - Atlanta United 2
- Khmiri Red Card, Suspension Rescinded - San Antonio FC
- Bird, Spencer Assume Advanced LouCity Roles - Louisville City FC
- 3 Things: #MIAvPIT - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Rowdies Aim to Rebound at Home against New York - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Guenzatti Voted USL Player of the Month - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Tampa Bay's Sebastian Guenzatti Voted Championship's Player of the Month - USL
- OCSC Holds off Phoenix and Secures an Important Three Points at Home - Orange County SC
- Lights FC to Host 1st Annual Cornhole Tournament Saturday - Las Vegas Lights FC
- RGV FC to Face Colorado Springs FC in Road Matchup - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Battery Unveil New Pink Jersey for October 20 Breast Cancer Awareness Night - Charleston Battery
- Late game heroics salvage a point for Sacramento in mid-week contest - Sacramento Republic FC
- LA Galaxy II Knot up Sacramento Republic FC 1-1 - LA Galaxy II
- El Paso Locomotive Dismantles Switchbacks FC on 4-2 Win - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Tacoma Defiance Falls 1-0 to Las Vegas Lights FC at Cheney Stadium - Tacoma Defiance
- Phoenix Rising FC Drops 1-0 Decision in Orange County - Phoenix Rising FC
- Barry Scores Record Goal as Switchbacks FC Fall on the Road - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Around the Leagues: International Break Ends, But Drama Does Not
- El Futuro: Two Students Awarded Scholarships for Service and Involvement Efforts
- Scoreless draw closes out the season series with Tacoma, inching Sacramento up the table one spot
- In Their Own Words: Everybody Understands the Pressure Within These Games
- Match Preview: Republic FC vs. Tacoma Defiance