Phoenix Rising FC Drops 1-0 Decision in Orange County
IRVINE, California - Phoenix Rising FC (19-5-5) dropped a 1-0 decision to Orange County tonight at Championship Soccer Stadium.
The defending Western Conference Champions are back in action this Saturday, October 16, at Las Vegas at 2 p.m.
Starting at center back in place of Joe Farrell tonight, Manuel Madrid came up huge defensively in just the third minute of the match. Orange County's Eric Calvillo had a free look at goal without Andre Rawls in it after Rising's goalkeeper charged off his line to stop an initial shot to his left side. The rebound fell to Calvillo in the center of the area. He attempted to pick out the top corner of the goal, but Madrid read the attacker and made a diving save with his head, knocking the ball clear of the post to push Rising's shutout streak to 183 minutes.
That streak ended at 198 minutes when Orange County took a 1-0 lead after a ball was slipped into the area from the left flank to Sean Okoli. The striker turned and got off a half-shot that tricked towards the back post. Ben Mines was first to react for OC. He grabbed the loose ball, cut around Rawls and deposited the ball in the back of the net to give the home side a lead in the 18th minute.
Rawls made a key save on Okoli from close range to keep it a 1-0 game in the 58th minute. The goalkeeper stood his ground at the near post and got his hands up in time to send a high-powered shot out for a corner kick.
Santi Moar came off the bench to create some offense for the visitors in the second half. Phoenix's leader in goals cracked a hard shot on net from distance in the 85th minute but Orange County goalkeeper Patrick Rakovsky was able to punch the chance away before his defense ushered the rebound away from danger.
Darnell King nodded a pass to Aodhan Quinn, a few steps in front of goal in stoppage time. Quinn redirected the shot on goal but Rakovsky made a stellar save to push the shot wide of the goal and give the home side the full three points.
OC - Ben Mines (Sean Okoli) 18
OC - Ben Mines (caution) 45+3
PHX - Prince Saydee (caution) 49
OC - Nathan Smith (caution) 71
PHX - Arturo Rodriguez (caution) 82
OC - Tommy McCabe (caution) 90
Phoenix Rising FC - Andre Rawls, Tate Schmitt, James Musa, Manuel Madrid, Joey Calistri, Kevon Lambert (Aodhan Quinn 45), Luis Seijas (Darnell King 71), Arturo Rodriguez, David Loera, Prince Saydee (Santi Moar 52), Jon Bakero (David Egbo 81).
Substitutes Not Used - Lalo Delgado, Jonathan Levin, Joe Farrell.
Orange County SC - Patrick Rakovsky, Kevin Alston (Nathan Smith 45), Michael Orozco, Ronaldo Damus (Aidan Apodaca 89), Sean Okoli (Mikko Kuningas 81), Dillon Powers, Eric Calvillo, Tommy McCabe, Ben Mines (Brian Iloski 67), Kobi Henry, Rob Kiernan.
Substitutes Not Used: Abaraham Romero, Thomas Enevoldsen, Darwin Jones.
Images from this story
Phoenix Rising FC hunts for a scoring opportunity against Orange County SC
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 14, 2021
- Everything You Need to Know When Orange County SC Visit Oakland Roots SC in Week 26 - Orange County SC
- New Mexico United Launches 2022 Season Tickets, Allows Fans to Put Down Deposits Now - New Mexico United
- What to Watch Across USL: Week 26 - Sacramento Republic FC
- USL Issues Fine, Forfeit to Sporting Kansas City II for Ineligible Player - Sporting Kansas City II
- Atlanta United 2 Awarded 3-0 Victory; USL Issues Fine, Forfeit to Sporting Kansas City II for Ineligible Player - Atlanta United 2
- Khmiri Red Card, Suspension Rescinded - San Antonio FC
- Bird, Spencer Assume Advanced LouCity Roles - Louisville City FC
- 3 Things: #MIAvPIT - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Rowdies Aim to Rebound at Home against New York - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Guenzatti Voted USL Player of the Month - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Tampa Bay's Sebastian Guenzatti Voted Championship's Player of the Month - USL
- OCSC Holds off Phoenix and Secures an Important Three Points at Home - Orange County SC
- Lights FC to Host 1st Annual Cornhole Tournament Saturday - Las Vegas Lights FC
- RGV FC to Face Colorado Springs FC in Road Matchup - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Battery Unveil New Pink Jersey for October 20 Breast Cancer Awareness Night - Charleston Battery
- Late game heroics salvage a point for Sacramento in mid-week contest - Sacramento Republic FC
- LA Galaxy II Knot up Sacramento Republic FC 1-1 - LA Galaxy II
- El Paso Locomotive Dismantles Switchbacks FC on 4-2 Win - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Tacoma Defiance Falls 1-0 to Las Vegas Lights FC at Cheney Stadium - Tacoma Defiance
- Phoenix Rising FC Drops 1-0 Decision in Orange County - Phoenix Rising FC
- Barry Scores Record Goal as Switchbacks FC Fall on the Road - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- ON-SALE: Phoenix Rising Playoff Pass & Single Match Tickets Available
- Phoenix Rising FC Back Atop League Table with 6-3 Win in Las Vegas
- Preview: Rising at Vegas, Tomorrow at 2 PM
- Phoenix Rising FC Drops 1-0 Decision in Orange County
- Rising Battles Orange County Tomorrow at 7PM