Lake Monsters Drop Series Finale 10-3 At Lowell
LOWELL, MA - Stephen Scott went 2-for-4 with a three-run homer and RBI double as the Lowell Spinners salvaged one of the three games in the New York-Penn League series against the Vermont Lake Monsters with a 10-3 win at LeLecheur Park on Saturday evening.
Scott smacked a one-out three-run homer off Vermont starter Seth Shuman in the bottom of first inning, while a Nick Decker one-out triple and Antoni Flores RBI single in the fourth gave Lowell a 4-0 lead. Gilberto Jimenez and Cameron Cannon added another run with back-to-back doubles to open the bottom of the fifth.
After just three hits over first five innings, the Lake Monsters put together four straight singles to open the sixth. Logan Davidson opened the inning with a single to center, Dustin Harris collected his second hit of the game and Jordan Diaz knocked home Davidson with a single to center for his league-leading 41st
Kyle McCann followed with the fourth straight single to load the bases before Kevin Richards brought home Dustin Harris with a sacrifice fly to center cutting deficit to 5-2, but Lowell added three runs in bottom of sixth on base loaded sac fly and two-run throwing error. Spinners scored two more times in seventh on Scott RBI double and Nick Decker RBI single.
McCann rounded out the scoring with a solo homer to rightcenter in the eighth. The home run was the eighth of the season for the 2019 fourth-round pick out of Georgia Tech. Harris went 3-for-4 with a run scored, while Diaz 2-for-4 to increase his league-leading hit total to 58.
Shuman (0-3) allowed four runs on five hits over the first 3 2/3 innings, while Richard Morban six runs (four earned) on six hits with three walks and six strikeouts in 3 1/3 innings of relief.
Despite the loss Vermont (25-30) has won four straight series after winning the first two games of the series at Lowell and have won nine of its last 12 contests overall.
Yusniel Padron-Artillies (7-1) was charged with two runs on seven hits with five strikeouts over four innings to earn the win for Lowell (31-23), while Cannon went 3-for-5 and Jimenez 2-for-3 with a walk.
Vermont returns to Centennial Field for a six-game homestand against Aberdeen and Brooklyn, beginning with the first of a three-game series against the Ironbirds Sunday at 5:05 pm. The first 750 fans will receive a free Lake Monsters baseball cap and all fans can "Have A Catch" on the field post-game.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 10, 2019
- West Virginia Falls in Series Finale - West Virginia Black Bears
- Spikes Welcome Season's Largest Crowd, Drop 3-2 Nailbiter in Extras to Batavia - State College Spikes
- Torrid Torres Knocks in Three in 5-1 Win at West Virginia - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Renegades Power Past 'Cats 13-3 - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Rutschman Walks off Win to End Losing Streak - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Tigers Win Final Contest at Brooklyn - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Gades Sweep Away Cats - Hudson Valley Renegades
- 'Clones Tamed by Tigers 5-2 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Lake Monsters Drop Series Finale 10-3 At Lowell - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Doubledays Can't Overcome Early 7-Run Inning from Scrappers - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vermont Lake Monsters Stories
- Vermont Lake Monsters Announce Summer Series of Events Hosted at Centennial Field
- Vermont Lake Monsters Season Shelved
- 2020 Lake Monsters Field Staff Announced
- Lake Monsters Receive 2019 Vincent McNamara Outstanding Club Award
- Lake Monsters Shutout 3-0 At Tri-City