LAFC Loans Forward Brian Rodriguez to UD Almeria
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) today announced that the Club has loaned forward Brian Rodriguez to UD AlmerÃa of LaLiga 2. The deal, which begins immediately and runs through the conclusion of AlmerÃa's 2020-21 campaign in May, could become a permanent transfer if certain performance thresholds are met.
"Brian is joining AlmerÃa as they make a strong push for promotion to Spain's top division," said LAFC Co-President & General Manager John Thorrington. "Since his arrival in 2019, Brian has been a focal point of our attack and success, and we believe that this deal will give him the opportunity to play meaningful games at the highest levels of European football."
Signed on Aug. 7, 2019 as a Young Designated Player, Rodriguez, 20, would appear in 26 regular season matches (23 starts), three postseason games and four matches at the 2020 Concacaf Champions League. During the 2020 MLS season, the 20-year-old forward led the team with seven assists, while also adding two goals from 49 shots. Rodriguez was recognized by MLS as the second ranked player in the league's annual ranking of the top players under 22 years old.
Before LAFC, Rodriguez spent two-and-a-half seasons with Uruguayan side CA Peñarol, notching three goals and nine assists in 26 games across all competitions. Internationally, Rodriguez has been a mainstay for Uruguay's senior side since his debut on September 7, 2019. He has three goals in nine international matches, including appearances in three of Uruguay's four 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.
With 16 games remaining, AlmerÃa currently sits in third place in LaLiga 2 standings with a 14-3-5 record (45 points). At the conclusion of the season, the top two teams will earn automatic promotion to Spain's top division, while a third team earns promotion from a playoff bracket between the teams that finish from 3rd to 6th.
TRANSACTION: Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) loans forward Brian Rodriguez to LaLiga 2 side UD AlmerÃa for the remainder of the 2020-21 campaign.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 1, 2021
- LAFC Loans Forward Brian Rodriguez to UD Almeria - Los Angeles FC
- D.C. United Loans Midfielder Paul Arriola to Swansea City A.F.C. - D.C. United
- CEO Ian Ayre Excited as Nashville SC Installs First Steel Beam at Its "Spiritual Home" - Nashville SC
- Rapids to Highlight Voices of the Black Community, Continue Conversations About Systemic Racism and Injustices - Colorado Rapids
- Jonathan Lewis Scores Twice, Kellyn Acosta and Sam Vines Add Assists in USMNT's Dominant Win - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Joins Major League Soccer in Celebrating Black History Month - FC Dallas
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Black History Month - MLS
- LAFC Signs Goalkeeper Tomas Romero - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City SC Loans Forward Daryl Dike to English Side Barnsley - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Bryan Reynolds Joins A.S. Roma - FC Dallas
- Nashville SC and 100 Black Men of Middle Tennessee Team up to Celebrate Black History Month - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Teams up with 710 Am ESPN and KFWB 980 La Mera Mera for 2021 Radio Broadcasts
- LAFC, Estrella Media Announce Renewal and Expansion of Spanish-Language Broadcast TV Partnership
- LAFC Wrap up Preseason, Play New England to 3-3 Draw
- LAFC Hosts New England in Final Preseason Match Saturday at Banc of California Stadium
- LAFC to Host over 700 Vaccinated Essential Workers at Saturday's Preseason Match