LAFC Signs Goalkeeper Tomas Romero
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) today announced the signing of 20-year-old goalkeeper Tomas Romero.
On January 21, LAFC acquired Romero's MLS Homegrown rights from Philadelphia Union in exchange for $50,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM).
"Tomas is an exciting prospect with experience at the youth, collegiate and international levels," said LAFC Co-President & General Manager John Thorrington. "He will be a strong addition to our goalkeeping group, and we look forward to seeing him develop further here at LAFC."
Earlier today, Romero was called up by El Salvador for their U-23 training camp set to take place from February 1-10 in San Salvador. Romero has also earned call-ups at the 2017 Bolivarian Games and Concacaf U-17 Championship.
From 2017-19, Romero appeared in 17 games (16 starts) for Bethlehem Steel of the USL Championship. The 6-foot-1 goalkeeper also saw action in 36 matches for the Union Academy's U-15/16, U-17/18 and U-18/19 teams.
In his first and only season at Georgetown University, Romero led the Hoyas to the 2019 Division I National Championship, posting a 9-0-3 record and registering seven shutouts and 30 saves as a freshman.
TRANSACTION: Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) signs 20-year-old goalkeeper Tomas Romero.
Full Name: Tomas Romero
Weight: 175 lbs.
Birthplace: Cherry Hill, NJ
Last Club: Philadelphia Union II
Citizenship: USA, El Salvador
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 1, 2021
- LAFC Loans Forward Brian Rodriguez to UD Almeria - Los Angeles FC
- D.C. United Loans Midfielder Paul Arriola to Swansea City A.F.C. - D.C. United
- CEO Ian Ayre Excited as Nashville SC Installs First Steel Beam at Its "Spiritual Home" - Nashville SC
- Rapids to Highlight Voices of the Black Community, Continue Conversations About Systemic Racism and Injustices - Colorado Rapids
- Jonathan Lewis Scores Twice, Kellyn Acosta and Sam Vines Add Assists in USMNT's Dominant Win - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Joins Major League Soccer in Celebrating Black History Month - FC Dallas
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Black History Month - MLS
- LAFC Signs Goalkeeper Tomas Romero - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City SC Loans Forward Daryl Dike to English Side Barnsley - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Bryan Reynolds Joins A.S. Roma - FC Dallas
- Nashville SC and 100 Black Men of Middle Tennessee Team up to Celebrate Black History Month - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Teams up with 710 Am ESPN and KFWB 980 La Mera Mera for 2021 Radio Broadcasts
- LAFC, Estrella Media Announce Renewal and Expansion of Spanish-Language Broadcast TV Partnership
- LAFC Wrap up Preseason, Play New England to 3-3 Draw
- LAFC Hosts New England in Final Preseason Match Saturday at Banc of California Stadium
- LAFC to Host over 700 Vaccinated Essential Workers at Saturday's Preseason Match