LAFC Defeats Colorado Rapids 3-0 Clinching Club's First Ever Playoff Berth
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) secured a position in the Audi 2018 MLS Cup Playoffs with a 3-0 victory over Colorado Rapids at Dick's Sporting Goods Park on Saturday evening. LAFC became the fourth MLS expansion team to reach the playoffs in the Club's inaugural season.
Defender Walker Zimmerman scored first for the Black & Gold off a corner kick in the 15th minute. Forward Adama Diomande doubled the lead in the 42nd minute, before scoring a second minutes into the second half. Diomande is now tied for first on the team with forward Carlos Vela with 11 goals on the season.
LAFC returns to action next Friday, October 12 when the Club takes on the Houston Dynamo at Banc of California Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. PT and will be broadcast live on YouTube TV, UniMás KFTR 46, ESPN 710 and 980 AM.
Following tonight's victory, LAFC remains in third place in the Western Conference with a 15-8-8 (53 points) record.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 7, 2018
- D.C. United Come from Behind to Beat Chicago 2-1 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire Fall 2-1 to D.C. United at Audi Field - Chicago Fire
- Wondolowski Scores 144th Career Goal in Loss to New York Red Bulls - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Record 4-1 Road Win over Real Salt Lake - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Loses at FC Dallas - Orlando City SC
- Red Bulls Defeat San Jose, Earn 20th Win of the Season - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Seals Playoff Berth in 1-1 Tie with LA Galaxy - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Ends 14-Match Home Unbeaten Streak in 4-1 Loss to Portland - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Defeats Orlando City SC 2-0 - FC Dallas
- LAFC Defeats Colorado Rapids 3-0 Clinching Club's First Ever Playoff Berth - Los Angeles FC
- Philadelphia Union 5, Minnesota United FC 1 - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, Sporting KC 1 - Saturday, October 6, 2018 - LA Galaxy
- MNUFC Falls 5-1 to Union - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Hosts Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday Afternoon
- LAFC Loses 1-0 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Wednesday Evening
- LAFC Travels North to Take on Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Wednesday Evening
- LAFC Remains Undefeated with 2-0 Win over FC Cincinnati
- LAFC Takes on FC Cincinnati at Banc of California Stadium on Saturday Night