LA Galaxy vs Colorado Rapids: MLS Preview: September 19, 2020
2020 MLS Regular Season - Week 12
LA Galaxy vs Colorado Rapids
Dignity Health Sports Park
September 19 - 8:30 PM MT
STREAMING: AT&T TV and AT&T TV NOW
RADIO: Altitude 92.5
The LA Galaxy look to extend their unbeaten streak to seven when the host a Colorado Rapids side that has endured a rollercoaster few days.
The Galaxy (4W-3L-3D) had a four-match winning streak come to an end, but extended their unbeaten run to six following a 0-0 Cali Clasico draw against the San Jose Earthquakes, while the Rapids (3W-4L-4D) followed a 5-0 road win over RSL with a 4-1 defeat to FC Dallas Wednesday night.
The Galaxy have won 24 of the 38 all-time meetings at home, outscoring Colorado by more than 2-1. But the Rapids picked up all three points in their last trip to Carson, a 1-0 victory thanks to a goal from Andre Shinyashiki. That victory snapped a six-game Galaxy undefeated home streak in the series, with two wins and four draws over the span. It was the Rapids first win there since Sept. 7, 2013.
After scoring three goals in each of their previous three wins, the Galaxy offense stalled against an Earthquakes squad that conceded seven in a stunning midweek loss to the Seattle Sounders. Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez made his first appearance since suffering a calf injury in the MLS is Back Tournament, playing the final 33 minutes.
"We as a team don't give him the possibility for a score, but I think it's good to have him in [our] 18 players and getting better, I think, every day," Galaxy coach Guillermo Barros Schelotto said. "He will get better and better, and I hope to have him the best version very soon."
It was a historic and emotional win, one that handed their rivals their worst home defeat and crowned the Rapids Rocky Mountain Cup champions for the first time since 2015. But Colorado couldn't carry that momentum over, suffering a similarly lopsided defeat to FC Dallas Wednesday night.
It was a positive start and the Rapids probably did enough to be rewarded with the game's first goal. Instead, it was Santiago Mosquera who opened the scoring four minutes from halftime, the first of his three goals.
Series Matchup at Galaxy
Galaxy: 24 wins, 73 goals
Rapids: 8 wins, 35 goals
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 18, 2020
- Colorado Department of Health and Environment Announces Approval for Fans at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park - Colorado Rapids
- What to Watch for in Nashville SC's Road Clash with First-Place Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew SC to Light-Up Scoreboard in Gold as Club Supports MLS WORKS' Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City Hosts Chicago Fire FC on Saturday - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Announces Multi-Year Partnership with ExtraMile Convenience Stores - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy vs Colorado Rapids: MLS Preview: September 19, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. New York City FC - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes Vancouver Whitecaps FC to Sandy on Saturday - Real Salt Lake
- Minnesota United FC vs. Houston Dynamo Preview - Minnesota United FC
- #SKCvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Sporting KC Hosts FC Dallas in Saturday Matinee - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Inks Damir Kreilach to Multi-Year Extension - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF Signs Forward Gonzalo Higuain as Designated Player - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Cole Bassett, Sam Vines & Kellyn Acosta Called up to USMNT December Camp
- In 2020, the Colorado Rapids Took Steps Toward Future Success
- Minnesota United FC Oust Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: November 22, 2020
- Rapids Look to Carry Momentum from Winning Streak into Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs