Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. New York City FC
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution (3-3-5, 14 pts.) are set to host New York City FC (5-5-1, 16 pts.) at Gillette Stadium on Saturday afternoon. The match kicks off at 4:30 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Boston with Brad Feldman and Charlie Davies calling the action. The contest will also air on 98.5 The Sports Hub, with Portuguese commentary available on WBIX 1260 AM Nossa Radio USA.
The Revolution and New York City are set to face off for the second time this season, as New England looks to rebound from a 2-0 defeat at home in the sides' last meeting on Sept. 2. The Revolution hold the advantage in the all-time series with a 6-5-3 record, including a 4-2-1 mark at Gillette Stadium. Diego Fagundez leads the roster with four career goals against NYCFC. The Revs enter the matchup boasting one of the league's top defenses, currently tied for the fourth-fewest goals allowed per game (1.00). Forward Teal Bunbury leads the attack with a team-high four goals on the season, including three in the last five games.
A pair of Revolution midfielders are approaching significant milestones for the club. Lee Nguyen, who re-joined New England via trade with Inter Miami CF on Sept. 8, could make his first Revolution appearance at Gillette Stadium since 2017. Nguyen registered his first minutes back in a New England uniform since with a 14-minute shift off the bench on Aug. 12 at Philadelphia. The nine-year MLS veteran is one assist away from becoming the Revolution's first player with 50 goals and 50 assists for the club. He is in a race with Fagundez, who needs five assists to reach the 50-50 milestone, and two more appearances to tie Matt Reis (254) for the second-most games played in club history.
New York City FC at New England Revolution
Date: Saturday, Sept. 19, 2020
Kickoff: 4:30 p.m. ET
Location: Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, Mass.)
TV: NBC Sports Boston (streaming on NBC Sports Boston app)
Talent: Brad Feldman (play-by-play), Charlie Davies (analyst)
English Radio: 98.5 The Sports Hub
Pregame and Postgame Show: Rob "Hardy" Poole and Clyde Simms
Portuguese Radio: 1260 AM Nossa Radio USA
WHAT TO WATCH FOR:
Here are some top storylines ahead of Saturday's match against New York City FC. Click HERE to view the club's complete game notes.
M Lee Nguyen could make his first Revolution appearance at Gillette Stadium since 2017 after re-joining the club on Sept. 8 via trade with Inter Miami FC.
Nguyen is one assist shy of becoming the first player in club history to register 50 goals and 50 assists with New England. He is in a race with M Diego Fagundez, who is five assists away from the 50-50 milestone.
Fagundez is two appearances shy of matching Matt Reis (254) for second place on the club's all-time games played list. With nine more games played, he will equal Shalrie Joseph's club record of 261 regular season appearances.
F Gustavo Bou currently ranks among the league leaders in shots (41), shots on goal (16) and chances created (25), where he ranks first, third and tied for third, respectively.
D Brandon Bye is one of seven Revolution players to appear in all 11 regular season games thus far, and the only one to start all 11 games. He leads the team with 941 minutes played.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 18, 2020
- Colorado Department of Health and Environment Announces Approval for Fans at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park - Colorado Rapids
- What to Watch for in Nashville SC's Road Clash with First-Place Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew SC to Light-Up Scoreboard in Gold as Club Supports MLS WORKS' Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City Hosts Chicago Fire FC on Saturday - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Announces Multi-Year Partnership with ExtraMile Convenience Stores - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy vs Colorado Rapids: MLS Preview: September 19, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. New York City FC - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes Vancouver Whitecaps FC to Sandy on Saturday - Real Salt Lake
- Minnesota United FC vs. Houston Dynamo Preview - Minnesota United FC
- #SKCvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Sporting KC Hosts FC Dallas in Saturday Matinee - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Inks Damir Kreilach to Multi-Year Extension - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF Signs Forward Gonzalo Higuain as Designated Player - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.