Real Salt Lake Inks Damir Kreilach to Multi-Year Extension
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake announced today that the club has signed Damir Kreilach to a multi-year contract extension that will see him remain at the club through the 2022 season with an option for the 2023 season. As Kreilach will make above the maximum salary budget charge, the club will determine his roster designation for next season ahead of the 2021 Roster Compliance Date.
"From the moment I came to Real Salt Lake, it felt like I was at home. Everyone welcomed me and my family. At the end of the day, it's not only about soccer. It's about life. I'm happy to stay here and continue to be part of the RSL family," Kreilach said. "I want to thank all of my teammates and coaches as well as staff and fans. I'm looking forward to giving my best on and off the field and be a role model for other young players. And of course I'm looking forward to winning something for RSL because that is what this club and these fans deserve."
Originally signed prior to the 2018 season, Kreilach became a staple in the RSL lineup and in his first year with the club, scoring a team-high 12 goals and adding eight assists to earn the team's Golden Boot. In addition, he was voted the 2018 RSL MVP. To date, Kreilach has scored 23 goals and registered 14 assists in 76 MLS regular season matches for RSL. Through 11 matches this season, he is the club's leading scorer with five goals, also adding one assist. In addition to his regular season success, Kreilach also has four goals and one assist in five matches in the MLS Cup Playoffs.
"When you're out signing an international player and investing heavily in that player and want them to come in and make an impact, he's exactly what you're looking for," RSL General Manager Elliot Fall said. "He's a professional. He's a culture setter. He leads by example. And he produces. He steps up in every big moment. You look at the big moments in the last three years for RSL, Damir plays a role in nearly every one of them. That says all you need to know about him."
Prior to his arrival with RSL, Kreilach played five seasons for Union Berlin in the German second division, scoring 33 goals in 147 matches, highlighted by a 12-goal season in 32 matches in 2015-16. Prior to his move to Germany, he played for Rijeka in the Croatian first division, making his debut at 18 years old in the 2007-08 season, playing 128 matches in six seasons while scoring 19 goals. He was the club's top goalscorer in the 2011-12 season with nine goals. With both clubs, he served as captain.
"He loves the club and gives everything every single day that he shows up for the club, for his teammates and for the staff," RSL Head Coach Freddy Juarez said. "That's a unique characteristic to have and we are lucky to have him."
Signing: RSL signs Damir Kreilach to multi-year extension on Friday, September 18, 2020.
Real Salt Lake returns to the field on Saturday, squaring off with Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Rio Tinto Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. MT with a limited number of tickets available for purchase at RSL.com or by calling 844.REAL.TIX.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 18, 2020
- Colorado Department of Health and Environment Announces Approval for Fans at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park - Colorado Rapids
- What to Watch for in Nashville SC's Road Clash with First-Place Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew SC to Light-Up Scoreboard in Gold as Club Supports MLS WORKS' Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City Hosts Chicago Fire FC on Saturday - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Announces Multi-Year Partnership with ExtraMile Convenience Stores - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy vs Colorado Rapids: MLS Preview: September 19, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. New York City FC - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes Vancouver Whitecaps FC to Sandy on Saturday - Real Salt Lake
- Minnesota United FC vs. Houston Dynamo Preview - Minnesota United FC
- #SKCvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Sporting KC Hosts FC Dallas in Saturday Matinee - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Inks Damir Kreilach to Multi-Year Extension - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF Signs Forward Gonzalo Higuain as Designated Player - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Announces Coaching Staff Decisions
- Real Salt Lake Goalkeeper David Ochoa Called to U.S. National Team Camp
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2021 Roster Decisions
- Real Salt Lake Ends 2020 with 2-0 Defeat to Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2020 Club Award Winners