LA Galaxy Announce 2019 LA Galaxy Special Olympics Unified Roster
LOS ANGELES - The LA Galaxy have signed 20 new players to contract for the club's LA Galaxy Special Olympics Southern California (SOSC) Unified Team ahead of the 2019 season. The LA Galaxy SOSC Unified Team will kick off the 2019 season at Dignity Health Sports Park on Friday, April 19 following the LA Galaxy vs. Houston Dynamo MLS match when they face the Houston Dynamo Special Olympics Unified team. Tickets to the match can be purchased at www.lagalaxy.com/tickets.
The athletes were announced during the 2019 LA Galaxy SOSC Unified Team signing ceremony on April 3 at Dignity Health Sports Park. At the ceremony, LA Galaxy Assistant Coach Dominic Kinnear and LA Galaxy players Daniel Steres, Tomas Hilliard-Arce, Ethan Zubak and Joe Corona presented each player with their 2019 jersey before welcoming them to the club. After participating in an open tryout earlier in the season, the 20 players were selected based on three criteria: (1) their ability to value and work with teammates of all abilities, (2) their commitment to the Play Unified experience and their teammates, and (3) their understanding of the game of soccer and its rules.
The players signed will attend regular practices starting this month at Dignity Health Sports Park. In addition to a mix of friendlies hosted over the summer, the team will travel to Red Bull Arena on Saturday, May 4 to face off against New York Red Bulls Unified team.
The LA Galaxy SOSC Unified Soccer Team Exchange program is a partnership between the LA Galaxy and Special Olympics Southern California that brings individuals with and without intellectual disabilities together as teammates, ages 16-25, to participate in unique training, competition and social experiences.
The goal of Unified Sports is to bring people with and without intellectual disabilities together to compete, learn and grow on the same team - as equals. Dedicated to promoting social inclusion through shared sports training and competition experiences, Unified Sports breaks down stereotypes about people with intellectual disabilities in a fun way. It was inspired by a simple principle: playing together is a quick path to friendship and understanding.
The 2019 LA Galaxy SOSC Unified Team schedule and roster are below.
2019 LA Galaxy Special Olympics Southern California Unified Team Games
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION
Friday, April 19 LA Galaxy SOSC Unified Team vs. Houston Dynamo Unified Team Dignity Health Sports Park
Saturday, May 4 LA Galaxy SOSC Unified Team vs. New York Red Bulls Unified Team Red Bull Arena
August (Date TBA) LA Galaxy SOSC Unified Team vs. LA Galaxy Boys' and Girls' Academy in August Dignity Health Sports Park
NAME ROLE JERSEY # HOMETOWN
Keven Ramirez Batres Athlete 1 Los Angeles
Rebecca Lagos Partner 3 Hawaiian Gardens
Daniel Saucedo Partner 4 San Pedro
Bodey Waldeck Athlete 5 Santa Clarita
Karen Delgado Partner 6 Los Angeles
Rigoberto Cervantes Athlete 7 Los Angeles
Cristian Valencia Athlete 8 San Pedro
Douglas Molina Athlete 9 North Hills
Eric Silva Ortega Partner 10 Hawthorne
Neyber Serrano Partner 11 North Hills
David Huerta Athlete 12 Los Angeles
Logan Jones Athlete 13 Simi Valley
Juan Ortega Partner 14 Hawthorne
Jose Chavez Jr. Partner 20 Los Angeles
Jonathan Compton Partner 21 Compton
Jose Conde Jr. Athlete 22 Los Angeles
Giber Camacho Partner 23 Inglewood
Edwin Perez Athlete 24 Los Angeles
Matthew Louis Partner 26 Redondo Beach
Armando Saucedo Athlete 32 San Pedro
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2019 Major League Soccer season at Dignity Health Sports Park are now available. Galaxy fans can go to www.lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2019 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships. Fans can also call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) and press 2 when prompted to secure Season Ticket Memberships.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 17, 2019
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Two Days Left to Secure 2019 Season Seats - FC Cincinnati
- Ibrahimovic Approaches Greatest Season-Long Goalscoring Stretch: Week 8 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Conclude Two-Match Road Trip at New England - New York Red Bulls
- Columbus Crew SC Names Neil McGuinness as Director of Scouting - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Cincinnati Loan Frankie Amaya to Orange County SC - FC Cincinnati
- LA Galaxy Announce 2019 LA Galaxy Special Olympics Unified Roster - LA Galaxy
- Know Your Opponent | Vancouver Whitecaps - Orlando City SC
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Launch TOGETHER AT HOME Campaign
- Major League Soccer Suspends Season for 30 Days
- LA Galaxy Announce 2020 Watch Party Schedule, Presented by Modelo
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 0, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1 - Saturday, March 7, 2020
- Grass Berm at Dignity Health Sports Park Returns for Saturday's LA Galaxy Home Opener