Know Your Opponent | Vancouver Whitecaps
City returns home on Saturday after last weekend's 2-1 loss out west in Salt Lake to face the Vancouver Whitecaps. The Whitecaps will be making the trip to Orlando City Stadium after facing LAFC on Wednesday in Vancouver so we might be seeing some heavy lineup rotation from what we see midweek. Here is what you need to know about Saturday's Western Conference foe:
Vancouver had a busy offseason. The team parted ways with a whopping 21 players. Their biggest loss was Alphonso Davies who made a headline move to Bayern Munich, but there were several other key losses. Kendall Waston, Nicolas Mezquida, Marcel de Jong and Kei Kamara all departed. Brian Rowe also traded Caps' white for City purple.
Vancouver began their offseason overhaul in goal with the acquisition of Zac MacMath. The big splash signings were then made with the additions of Hwang In-beom, Ali Adnan, Fredy Montero, Lucas Venuto, and Lass Bangoura.
The good news, five different players have scored so far this season for Vancouver. The bad news, nobody has scored more than one goal so there is not much to make a lot of noise about here.
The team form reflects the lack of individual production. The Caps have managed one clean sheet in six tries and have lost four games and drawn two. Not a great start to 2019.
The Caps have gotten the better of City in three of four previous meetings. City have never beaten the Canadian side at home and have only managed to grab a point on the road once back in 2016 in a 2-2 draw.
Rasmussen College Fun Fact
Vancouver has had a habit in recent years of picking up former Lions. Brek Shea and Jose Aja both played for the Whitecaps following their time with City. Most recently, Victor 'PC' Giro and Scott Sutter have joined the Canadian side in the offseason to bolster their defense.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 17, 2019
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Two Days Left to Secure 2019 Season Seats - FC Cincinnati
- Ibrahimovic Approaches Greatest Season-Long Goalscoring Stretch: Week 8 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Conclude Two-Match Road Trip at New England - New York Red Bulls
- Columbus Crew SC Names Neil McGuinness as Director of Scouting - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Cincinnati Loan Frankie Amaya to Orange County SC - FC Cincinnati
- LA Galaxy Announce 2019 LA Galaxy Special Olympics Unified Roster - LA Galaxy
- Know Your Opponent | Vancouver Whitecaps - Orlando City SC
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.