Komets Down Pesky Mallards 4-2
Moline, IL- The Mallards put up a brilliant effort before dropping a 4-2 decision to Fort Wayne at The MARK on Saturday night. The defeat, paired with a Missouri win at Kalamazoo, drops the Mallards one point behind the Otters for the seventh seed in the UHL Playoffs.
The Komets sprung to a 3-0 lead on first period goals by Adam Kostichka, Rob Guinn and Mike Wiggins. Kostichkas marker at 6:55 of the first period was the first of his pro career. Guinn followed with a power-play marker at the 16:38 mark. Wiggins capped Fort Waynes first period scoring with his second of the season.
After a scoreless second frame, the Mallards scored twice in the third to cut the Komets lead to one goal. Andy Fermoyle recorded his fourth goal of the season just 3:59 into the period with helpers from Frantisek Skladany and A.J. MacLean. At the 12:00 mark of the period, Dave Stewart scored shorthanded for his eighth tally of the year. Stewarts shorthanded goal lit a fire under the Mallards that resulted in a furious third period push. But, the Mallards could pull no closer before Jonathan Goodwin scored into an empty net with .1 seconds remaining.
The Mallards close out the regular season on Sunday vs. the Flint Generals. Posters will be given away to children courtesy of Maid Rite, Reynolds Ford and KWQC. Before the game, the Mallards are hosting a pre-game skate from 1:15-2:00 p.m. Video Games Etc. will also be on hand before the game to host the hockey video game tournament. The championship round will be played on the big screen at The MARK during an intermission. Registration is FREE to any fan with a ticket. During the intermission, the Mallards are hosting the Deere Harvester Credit Union Dash for Cash. Tomorrows game will be broadcast on WOC AM 1420.
Individual tickets to any Mallards game are available at The MARK box office or via phone at (563) 326-1111. To make your group a part of Mallards hockey, call the Mallards ticket office at (309) 764-7825.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from April 10, 2005
- Outlaws go out in style - Kansas City Outlaws
- Jackals End Season With a 4-1 Loss - Elmira Jackals
- Muskegon Fury notes - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Mechanics win season finale in Elmira - Motor City Mechanics
- Kompon Hat Trick Powers Mallards to 5-3 Win - Quad City Mallards
- IceHogs announce 2004-05 season awards - Rockford IceHogs
- Otters top IceHogs 1-0 in finale - Rockford IceHogs
- River Otters and Reiter Frustrate IceHogs 1-0; Komets Up Next - Missouri River Otters
- Komets Down Pesky Mallards 4-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Colonial Cup Countdown Begins - Kalamazoo Wings
- Motor City Reaches .500 With 11th Straight Win - Motor City Mechanics
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.