Knights Blast Past Tides 14-3 in Finale
(NORFOLK, VA) - With their biggest offensive game of the season, the Charlotte Knights produced 21 hits in a 14-3 triumph over the Norfolk Tides on Easter Sunday at Harbor Park in the finale of their three-game series.
The win gives the Knights a series win over the Tides and ends their season-long 11-game road trip with a 6-5 record after winning five of their final six games on the trip.
Six players recorded a multi-hit game for the Knights, led by Alcides Ecobar's 5-for-6 game including three doubles and a pair of home runs and five RBI from Nicky Delmonico.
Down 2-1 in the third, Charlotte took the lead for good as Escobar doubled to score two runs. Delmonico followed a couple batters later with a sacrifice fly to score another run. Seby Zavala's double scored a couple more runs, then he came around to score on an error as the Knights jumped ahead 7-2.
Delmonico delivered an RBI single an inning later to make it 8-2. In the sixth, Zack Collins got the Knights into double digits with a double to deep center, scoring Escobar and Daniel Palka. The next hitter, Delmonico, crushed a two-run blast deep over the right field fence, giving the Knights a 12-2 lead.
Not done yet, Delmonico launched his second home run of the day in the eighth, a towering solo shot over the bullpen in right field for his third homer of the season. Ryan Goins capped the day's scoring with a double to left, scoring Preston Tucker with the Knights 14th run of the day, a season-high.
On the mound, Jordan Guerrero (W, 1-1) picked up his first run of the season after giving up three runs on seven hits with two walks and five strikeouts. Juan Minaya struck out three over 1.2 scoreless innings out of the bullpen. Ian Hamilton and Evan Marshall each pitched scoreless innings to finish the win as Charlotte improved to 12-6 on the season.
From the leadoff spot, Charlie Tilson set the table by going 3-for-4 with three runs scored. Goins had his best game of the season, going 4-for-5 with two doubles and a RBI. Palka and Tucker each recorded two hits in the win while Collins scored twice.
The Knights return home on Tuesday night to begin a nine-game homestand with the first of three games against the Toledo Mud Hens. Pre-game radio coverage of the 7:05 p.m. game is set for 6:50 p.m. on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad and long-time Knights radio broadcaster Mike Pacheco will have the call for all of the action. Jordan Stephens is set to start for the Knights.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 21, 2019
- Bulls Start Fast But Fall to Stripers - Durham Bulls
- Stripers Rally Late, Defeat Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mets Sweep Red Sox with 4-1 Win on Sunday Afternoon - Syracuse Mets
- Kozma Homers to Snap Losing Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- Indy Hops off with 2-1 Win in Extras - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets Complete Sweep with 4-1 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Blast Past Tides 14-3 in Finale - Charlotte Knights
- Bats Drop Final Game in Extras, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (9-6) vs. Louisville Bats (8-9) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (8-9) at Indianapolis Indians (9-6) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- Knights Announce 2020 Scholarships with Founding Partners
- Knights' 2020 Slate Filled with Celebs, Fireworks & Giveaways
- National Anthem Auditions Set for February 18 at Queen City Q
- Gastonia Native Wes Helms Named Manager for 2020 Season
- Knights Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball