Knicks Secure First Victory of Regular Season, Conquer Cruise 110-105
BRIDGEPORT, CT - The Westchester Knicks, the official NBA G League affiliate of the New York Knicks, defeated the Motor City Cruise, 110-105, Tuesday night at Webster Bank Arena, for its first win of the regular season.
Miles McBride (assignment) notched his second 30-point game with Westchester (1-3), dropping a career-high 39 points, together with a team-high seven assists and eight rebounds. Two-Way Player Jericho Sims scored 17 points and grabbed a team-high 12 rebounds. Jordan Allen (Available Player Pool) contributed 11 points and five rebounds, with MJ Walker (Affiliate) and Brandon Williams (tryout) going for nine and eight points, respectively, to round out the scoring.
Motor City (3-1) was led by the duo of Derrick Walton Jr. and Jamorko Pickett who mirrored 23 points. Walton Jr.'s point total accompanied 10 assists which marked a game-high on the night. Cheick Diallo had a double-double as well, with 18 points and 12 rebounds.
The two teams traded baskets to start the contest in a back-and-forth first quarter. In the final 1:24 of the opening period, the visitors scored nine unanswered points to take the lead 37-28 heading into the second. Westchester continued to battle, cutting the deficit to a one possession game on Allen's jumper with 3:05 remaining in the period. Motor City responded and went on a 6-0 run in the final 65 ticks of the half to take a 63-54 going to the locker room.
In the third, the Knicks knotted the score at 69-up, and took a two-point lead on McBride's 5-0 run by the 5:49 mark of the period ultimately entering the final frame down eight, 85-77.
In the first two minutes of the fourth, the home team scored seven consecutive points to cut the deficit to one, 85-84. Nearly a minute later, Westchester regained the lead on a go-ahead McBride triple with 9:15 to go. The lead continued to alternate the rest of the way, with no team going up more than a possession, until the Knicks took a five-point lead, 108-103, on an Allen layup with 2:08 remaining. The Cruise cut it to three with 24.1 seconds to go, before Westchester finished them off with another Allen layup to take the win, 110-105.
Next on the horizon for the Knicks is a first meeting with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants this season, Saturday, January 15. The action is slated to start at 7:00 PM ET.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 12, 2022
- Long Island Tops Wisconsin in Wire-To-Wire Victory - Long Island Nets
- Birmingham Squadron Re-Acquire Guard Jared Harper, Forward Malcolm Hill Rejoins Team - Birmingham Squadron
- Tacko Fall Rejoins Charge - Cleveland Charge
- Warriors Assign Moses Moody to Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Game Preview: at Clippers - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- RGV Acquires Terrance Ferguson to Roster - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Iowa Wolves Return to Wells Fargo Arena Thursday - Iowa Wolves
- Knicks Secure First Victory of Regular Season, Conquer Cruise 110-105 - Westchester Knicks
- Knicks Come up Short to Cruise in Regular Season Home Opener - Westchester Knicks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.