Kines and Boomers Pitch to Season Opening Win
SAUGET, IL - Gunnar Kines notched six shutout innings and the pitching staff struck out 15 as the Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, opened the season with a 6-1 victory over the Gateway Grizzlies on the road Friday night.
Kines hit the first batter of the game before retiring the next 10, allowed a single in the fourth, and then retired the next eight. Kines struck out nine in notching the win. The Boomers gave Kines all the support he would need early, scoring a single run in the first. Jack Parenty led off the game with an opposite field single and scored on an RBI single from Wuincy Nieporte with one out. The team tacked on three in the fifth to pull away on a wild pitch, a bases loaded walk to Clint Hardy and an RBI single from Connor Oliver.
Behind Kines, Darrell Thompson, Dylan Stutsman and Connor Eller finished out the win. Parenty, Hardy and Nieporte all notched two hits in the win as the Boomers totaled nine.
The season opening series continues on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. with All-Star Payton Lobdell making his season debut for the Boomers.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 10, 2019
- Kines and Boomers Pitch to Season Opening Win - Schaumburg Boomers
- Alex Romero fans seven over six innings as Crushers win 6-4 - Lake Erie Crushers
- Lake Erie Handles the Bolts in their Opener - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Washington Loses Lead in 6th, Drops Second Game of Four at River City - Washington Wild Things
- Rascals Bounce Back with 3-2 Win - River City Rascals
- 2019 Boomers Roster Preview - Schaumburg Boomers
- Otters Announce Additional Special Events for 25th Anniversary Season - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Fall 7-5 in Season Opener - River City Rascals
- Strecker Sets Career Saves Record in Wild Things' Opening Night Win - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.