Kernels Top TinCaps in Rubber Game
CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA - The Cedar Rapids Kernels defeated the Fort Wayne TinCaps, 4-2, Friday evening in the rubber game of a three-game series at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium. Cedar Rapids (15-7, 47-44) picked up a 2-1 series win and finished the night in sole possession of first place in the Western Division second-half standings.
Ariel Montesino put the Kernels ahead, 1-0, during the second inning. Andrew Bechtold hit a one-out single and advanced to third base on a single from David Bañuelos. Montesino followed with an RBI groundout that drove in Bechtold.
Fort Wayne (12-10, 44-47) tied the game in the top of the third. A one-out triple set up Jalen Washington at third base, and a balk charged to Blayne Enlow later in the inning allowed Washington to even the score, 1-1. Toby Gardenhire was ejected by home plate umpire Jake Bruner while arguing the call.
The Kernels scored within the fifth and sixth innings to take a 3-1 lead. Montesino led off the fifth with a single coupled with an error and came home during a sacrifice fly from Akil Baddoo. Bechtold singled in the sixth inning and later scored after Montesino's second RBI groundout of the contest.
Cedar Rapids' lead was cut in half to 3-2 during the seventh. Esteury Ruiz was hit by a pitch, and an errant pickoff throw from Melvi Acosta allowed Ruiz to reach third base. Nick Feight produced an RBI groundout to bring in Ruiz.
Ben Rodriguez cushioned the Kernels' lead with a leadoff home run in the bottom of the eighth. Rodriguez lifted a solo shot to left-center field that secured a 4-2 advantage.
Enlow (1-2) yielded two runs including just one earned run over six-plus innings and earned his first Midwest League win. Tom Cosgrove (2-4) took the loss after giving up three runs featuring two unearned runs in six innings pitched. Acosta only allowed an inherited run to score within a three-inning outing and was credited with the save.
This six-game homestand continues Saturday with the opener of a three-game series against the Lake County Captains. First pitch Saturday is scheduled for 6:35 p.m., and postgame fireworks sponsored by Bank of the West will follow the contest. Kernels right-hander Jordan Balazovic (4-1, 2.18) and Captains left-hander Juan Hillman (3-8, 4.86) are the probable pitchers. Broadcast coverage will be available on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com, www.kernels.com, and MiLB.TV.
Fans can purchase tickets for all Cedar Rapids home games by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 13, 2018
- Bees Defeat Lansing 7-2 in Series Finale - Burlington Bees
- Kernels Top TinCaps in Rubber Game - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Take Walk-Off Win in 10 Innings, 6-5 - Dayton Dragons
- Rally 'Caps Fall Short to Wisconsin - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Avoid Sweep with 4-1 Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Dayton Walks off in Tenth Inning to Take Series Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Take Series From Cougars with 4-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snappers Fall 6-1 to Cubs, Streak Comes to an End - Beloit Snappers
- Rattlers Hang On To Beat Whitecaps 6-5 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Ryan Noda's Big Game at the Plate Gives Lugnuts Series Opening Victory - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 13 at Cedar Rapids (Game 91) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.