Kazmar, Beavers Cruise with 11-0 Blanking of River Cats
WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Sean Kazmar hit two home runs, including a fourth-inning grand slam, and drove in five runs as the Portland Beavers pounded out 15 hits on their way to an 11-0 shutout victory over the Sacramento River Cats Saturday night at Raley Field.
Kazmar, who entered the game with one home run this season - he hit it Monday - took River Cats starter Boof Bonser (0-1) deep for a solo shot in the third before belting the first pitch he saw from Graham Godfrey in the fourth for his second grand slam in his Beavers career.
The Beavers (34-55), who scored nine of their runs before the River Cats (49-41) could muster their first hit, also got two hits and two RBIs apiece from Lance Zawadzki and Anthony Contreras. Craig Cooper and Mike Baxter, who added his team-leading 10th home run in the ninth inning, both went 3-for-5.
Scott Munter (3-1) struck out four over two innings in relief of Cesar Ramos, who yielded just a single and a walk in four innings.
Corey Wimberly hit a two-out triple in the seventh inning but the River Cats were unable to do anything against a quartet of Beavers hurlers who combined on a four-hitter.
Zawadzki followed Kyle Phillips' RBI groundout with an RBI single as the Beavers put two on the board in the second.
In the fourth, singles by Baxter and Cooper and a walk to Phillips loaded the bases for Zawadzki, who picked up his second RBI single. After Contreras plated Portland's fifth run with a sac fly, Luis Durango reached on an error to fill the bags for Kazmar, who hit Portland's first grand slam of the season.
Contreras hit an RBI single in the fifth as the Beavers grabbed their first 10-run lead of the season.
Bonser gave up six runs on seven hits over three-plus innings.
The Beavers and River Cats finish their season series Sunday afternoon at 1:05 p.m. (Pacific). After Sunday's game, the Pacific Coast League takes a three-day hiatus for the All-Star break. The 2010 Triple-A All-Star Game will be played at Coca-Cola Park in Allentown, Pa., on Wednesday at 4:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Kazmar's only career two-homer game came on July 31, 2004, with Class A Eugene ... Kazmar's other grand slam with the Beavers was a go-ahead shot against Sacramento at PGE Park on April 24, 2009 ... the only other Beavers hitter to hit two home runs in a game this season was Eric Munson, who did it May 8 against Reno and May 25 against New Orleans ... the Beavers had not owned an 11-run lead since they beat Fresno 11-0 on Aug. 13, 2008 ... with the win, the Beavers took a 72-71 lead in the all-time series between the two teams (since 2001) ... former Beaver Dan Giese pitched the ninth inning for Sacramento ... the Beavers' last double-digit win was an 11-1 victory at Sacramento on April 15, 2009.
Beavers Game File SATURDAY'S GAME: Beavers 11, Sacramento 0 WINNING PITCHER: Munter (3-1) LOSING PITCHER: Bonser (0-1) SAVE: None HOME RUNS: Kazmar 2 (3), Baxter (10) SUNDAY'S GAME: Portland (Cesar Carrillo: 4-8, 4.65) at Sacramento (Kyle Middleton: 5-5, 2.73), 1:05 p.m. (Pacific); live audio broadcast on Freedom 970 AM and www.portlandbeavers.com. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 11, 2010
- Round Rock Express Fall to Oklahoma City 15-2 - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Walk Off With Win Over Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Heether, River Cats Escape With 11-Inning Win - Portland Beavers
- Sky Sox Complete Sweep of Reno, 6-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sky Sox Battle Back, Beat Aces 6-4 - Reno Aces
- Walters Leads 'Birds to Victory - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Drop Series Finale in Memphis, 5-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Snyder Leads Cubs to Walk off Win - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Kazmar, Beavers Cruise with 11-0 Blanking of River Cats - Portland Beavers
- Rainiers Belt Their Way to Win Over Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sky Sox Snag Both Ends of Double Header Over Reno - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss