Kamara Levels Match with Earthquakes
Chris Wondolowski scored the opener from the penalty spot, but Kei Kamara found the equalizer late in the second half as the San Jose Earthquakes drew the Colorado Rapids 1-1 at Earthquakes Stadium.
The match was more open than the final score might suggest, as both sides had chances on goal that could have given them the win, but in the end the goals from Wondolowski and Kamara would result in the sides splitting the points.
Colorado had a good look at the opener 10 minutes after kickoff, when Younes Namli slid a pass in for Kellyn Acosta that was received after a nice dummy from Diego Rubio. But Acosta would be denied by a kick-save from San Jose goalkeeper Daniel Vega.
The sides swapped a couple more half-chances in the first half, but none that resulted in the opening goal. Wondolowski had one sail over the bar on the half-hour mark, while Colorado's Andre Shinyashiki had a low shot from distance trickle wide in the 36th.
Colorado nearly struck in the 57th minute after a turnover set Rubio up with a laser left-footed effort from just outside the box that beat Vega, only to careen off the post.
The Quakes then got the go-ahead goal in the next minute when Colorado's Sam Vines was called for a handball in his own area after going to ground to try and stop a cross from Paul Marie, drawing a penalty kick whistle from referee Kevin Stott. That allowed Wondolowski to step to the spot, where he rolled the game's first goal right down the middle and into the net.
Kamara found the equalizer in the 81st, though, rising up to head home a corner kick from Cole Bassett, giving the Rapids the goal they needed to escape with the point.
SJ: Thursday, Sept. 10 at Seattle Sounders (10 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+; DAZN in Canada)
COL: Wednesday, Sept. 9 vs. Houston Dynamo (9 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+; DAZN in Canada)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 6, 2020
- Real Salt Lake Drops 4-0 Result to Minnesota United FC - Real Salt Lake
- Orange and Blue downed by Columbus - FC Cincinnati
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 2-1 to New England Revolution - Chicago Fire
- Notes & Quotes: D.C. United 0 - 0 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Philadelphia Union Blank Red Bulls, 3-0 - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Draw 0-0 against New York City FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Bunbury's Brace Lifts Revolution to 2-1 Win at Chicago Fire FC - New England Revolution
- Union net three to earn three points on the road - Philadelphia Union
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Time Change and New Broadcast Details for September 12 Road Match against Chicago Fire FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire FC Announces Time, Broadcast Changes for September 12 Home Match against Columbus Crew SC - Chicago Fire
- Timbers Square off against Seattle Sounders FC Tonight at CenturyLink Field - Portland Timbers
- Kamara Levels Match with Earthquakes - Colorado Rapids
- Quakes earn draw at Earthquakes Stadium in first home match since March 7 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC (3) - Toronto FC (2) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- 'Caps make triumphant return to BC Place in high-scoring affair - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- In 2020, the Colorado Rapids Took Steps Toward Future Success
- Minnesota United FC Oust Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: November 22, 2020
- Rapids Look to Carry Momentum from Winning Streak into Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: November 22, 2020