Jonquel Jones Receives 2021 WNBA Peak Performer Award
Uncasville, CT - The league announced today, Sun forward Jonquel Jones won the 2021 WNBA Peak Performer Award in rebounding. This is the third time in her career she has received the peak performer award for rebounding.
Jones concluded the regular season averaging 11.2 rebounds per game which is .7 shy from her career best 11.9 (2017). She also won the award in 2019 when she led the league averaging 9.7 rebounds per game. Throughout the 2021 regular season, she recorded 10+ rebounds in 19 contests which also helped her eclipse 18 double-doubles.
The Bahamian native has grabbed 1350 total rebounds over her five-year career. Her 303 rebounds for the season helped push her into fifth all-time in Connecticut Sun history passing Nykesha Sales (1157).
Jones has received additional recognition this season. The 6-6 forward earned two Kia Player of the Month awards (May & August), four Eastern Conference Player of the Week awards, and an all-star nod.
The No. 1 Connecticut Sun concluded the regular season 26-6 overall and 15-1 at home and on a 14-game win streak. The Sun will prepare for Game 1 and Game 2 of the WNBA Semifinals on Tuesday, Sept. 28 and Thursday, Sep. 30. Both games will be played at Mohegan Sun Arena and tip is set for 8pm ET on ESPN2.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 20, 2021
- Kelsey Plum Named Kia WNBA Western Conference Player of the Month and Player of the Week - Las Vegas Aces
- Jonquel Jones Receives Kia WNBA Player of the Month - Connecticut Sun
- Miller Earns Back-To-Back WNBA Coach of the Month Awards - Connecticut Sun
- Michaela Onyenwere Named Kia WNBA Rookie of the Month for September - New York Liberty
- Jonquel Jones Receives 2021 WNBA Peak Performer Award - Connecticut Sun
- Natasha Howard Named Eastern Conference Player of the Week - New York Liberty
- 2021 WNBA Peak Performers: Tina Charles, Jonquel Jones and Courtney Vandersloot - WNBA
- Kelsey Mitchell Score 32 Points as Fever Conclude Regular Season at Chicago - Indiana Fever
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Connecticut Sun Stories
- Connecticut Sun Announces Partnership with Battlecon Basketball
- 2021 WNBA MVP Jonquel Jones Named to All-WNBA First Team
- Connecticut Sun 2021 Year in Review
- Connecticut Sun and Jordan's Furniture Present "Basketball for FreeÃ¢ÂÂ Clinics
- Connecticut Sun Eliminated by Chicago