Michaela Onyenwere Named Kia WNBA Rookie of the Month for September
NEW YORK - The WNBA announced today that New York Liberty rookie forward Michaela Onyenwere has earned Kia WNBA Rookie of the Month award for September. This marks Michaela's fourth consecutive Rookie of the Month honor, and as the only rookie this season to garner the award, she now joins A'ja Wilson (2018), Breanna Stewart (2016), Elena Delle Donne (2013), and Tina Charles (2010) as one of only five players to have swept the award since it was instituted in 2010.
The Liberty's sixth overall selection in the 2021 WNBA Draft led all rookies through the regular season in points per game (8.6), minutes per game (22.5), total field goals made (91), three pointers made (37), games played (32), and starts (29), while also sitting at No. 2 in total rebounds (94). Michaela shot 39.9% from the field, 32.7% from beyond the arc and 83.6% at the free throw line in her first WNBA campaign.
Onyenwere averaged 7.0 points and 2.5 rebounds through four contests in the month of September, highlighted by her 14-point outing against Connecticut on September 15 where she shot 83.3% (5-6) from the field and 66.7% (2-3) from beyond the three-point line.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 20, 2021
- Kelsey Plum Named Kia WNBA Western Conference Player of the Month and Player of the Week - Las Vegas Aces
- Jonquel Jones Receives Kia WNBA Player of the Month - Connecticut Sun
- Miller Earns Back-To-Back WNBA Coach of the Month Awards - Connecticut Sun
- Michaela Onyenwere Named Kia WNBA Rookie of the Month for September - New York Liberty
- Jonquel Jones Receives 2021 WNBA Peak Performer Award - Connecticut Sun
- Natasha Howard Named Eastern Conference Player of the Week - New York Liberty
- 2021 WNBA Peak Performers: Tina Charles, Jonquel Jones and Courtney Vandersloot - WNBA
- Kelsey Mitchell Score 32 Points as Fever Conclude Regular Season at Chicago - Indiana Fever
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Liberty Stories
- Michaela Onyenwere Injury Update
- DiDi Richards Named to WNBA's All-Rookie Team
- Liberty's Michaela Onyenwere Named 2021 Kia WNBA Rookie of the Year
- Liberty Forward Michaela Onyenwere Joins Renowned Chef Marcus Samuelsson on New Episode of YES App's Exclusive Home Plate Show
- Brooklyn Nets and New York Liberty Form Global Multi-Year Partnership with Webull