Jones Named 2019 All-Star Starter
UNCASVILLE, Conn. - Connecticut Sun forward Jonquel Jones was named a starter for AT&T WNBA All-Star 2019 on Thursday afternoon.
It is the second All-Star selection for Jones, who was also a starter in 2017. She will represent the WNBA on July 27 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The game will be broadcast live on ABC at 3:30 p.m. ET.
"I am so happy for JJ," Sun head coach and general manager Curt Miller said. "It is such a well-deserved honor from the fans and followers of the WNBA. She is a humble star who continues to get better each and every year. The sky is the limit for her. Her ultimate potential is through the roof."
In her fourth WNBA season, Jones leads the WNBA with 156 rebounds, an average of 10.4 per game. She is the only player in the WNBA currently averaging a double-double at 15.4 points and 10.4 rebounds per game. The Eastern Conference Player of the Week for three consecutive weeks - June 3, June 10, June 17 - Jones has recorded seven double-doubles on the season. The 6-foot-6 forward has scored in double-figures in 14 games and pulled down 10 or more rebounds in seven contests. On May 31, Jones tied her career-high with 22 boards in Los Angeles, one shy of the franchise record and two shy of the WNBA mark.
"It feels good to be back in the All-Star Game," Jones said. "I'm really excited to be out there and be representing the team with all of these fantastic players. Hopefully I'll also see some of my teammates out there."
Jones is joined by Elena Delle Donne, A'ja Wilson, Liz Cambage, Brittney Griner, Natasha Howard, Chelsea Gray, Jewell Loyd, Kayla McBride and Kia Nurse as starters. The 12 reserves will be selected by WNBA head coaches and announced on July 15. Coaches will vote for three guards, five frontcourt players and four players at either position, just not their own players. As with the starters, these will be selected regardless of conference affiliation.
The Sun will be in action next on Friday, July 12 when they take on the Phoenix Mercury at Mohegan Sun Arena at 8 p.m. The game will be broadcast live on ESPN2. Tickets for all games at Mohegan Sun Arena are available now. Visit ConnecticutSun.com or call 1-877-SUN-TIXX to purchase.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from July 11, 2019
- Pair Return, Peddy Waived - Washington Mystics
- Delle Donne, Thibault to Participate in All-Star Game - Washington Mystics
- Las Vegas' Laimbeer and Washington's Thibault Earn Spots as Head Coaches for AT&T WNBA All-Star 2019 - WNBA
- Chelsea Gray Named All-Star Starter Earning Her Third Consecutive ASG Selection - Los Angeles Sparks
- Jones Named 2019 All-Star Starter - Connecticut Sun
- Griner Named Named 2019 WNBA All-Star Starter - Phoenix Mercury
- Liberty's Kia Nurse Voted Starter for AT&T WNBA All-Star 2019 - New York Liberty
- Washington's Delle Donne, Las Vegas' Wilson Named St Arters and Captains for AT&T WNBA All-Star 2019 - WNBA
- Force 10 Announces Roster for Professional Women's 3x3 Team - Seattle Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Connecticut Sun Stories
- Connecticut Sun to Hold Online Auditions for Solar Power
- Sun and Black Wolves Join Forces with Connecticut Sports Teams in Support of 4-CT
- NESN to Re-Air Games from Historic 2019 Season
- Juicy Landrum May be Quiet, But Her Game Speaks Volumes
- Sun Select Kaila Charles and Juicy Landrum in 2020 WNBA Draft