Johnson Powers Express past Reno, 9-4
ROUND ROCK, Texas - Chris Johnson was 4-for-4 with four RBI and double shy of hitting for the cycle while powering the Round Rock Express past the Reno Aces 9-4 Thursday night at The Dell Diamond. The Express (18-22) have tallied 10-plus hits in seven consecutive games after taking the first game of the four-game series against the Aces (19-22).
After Reno evened the score at 3-3 in the top of the sixth inning, Jason Castro delivered an RBI single snapping the tie. Castro scored two batters later after Marco Cabral's game-deciding RBI double.
Johnson's three-run homer in the seventh extended the Express' lead to 8-3. Roy Corcoran added the final run in the inning with a two-out single bringing in Collin DeLome.
Express starter Josh Banks (4-3) earned the win, and has a win in three of his last four starts. He allowed three runs, only two of which were earned, on seven hits and three walks with three strikeouts in 6.0 innings. Corcoran allowed one run on four hits in 2.0 innings, with one strikeout. Erick Abreu worked a perfect ninth, while striking out two.
Reno starter Matt Tora (2-2) allowed five runs on nine hits and one walk with four strikeouts over 6.0 innings and was saddled with the loss. Zach Kroenke surrendered four runs on six hits over 2.0 innings of relief.
Round Rock rallied with a pair of runs on three hits in the third after Reno scored one run in the first. After a leadoff single by Jason Bourgeois, Matt Kata followed with a single. Chris Shelton's sacrifice fly scored Bourgeois and Johnson's two-out single drove in Brian Bogusevic.
The Express extended the lead to 3-1 after a solo home run by DeLome in the fourth. It was DeLome's fourth homer of the year and his first since April 18.
The Aces responded with a run in the fifth and sixth before the Express grabbed the lead and held onto win in the sixth.
Kata (2-for-5) extended his hitting streak to eight games and produced his seventh multiple-hit game in that span. Bourgeois (1-for-5) extended his hitting streak to nine games, matching Chris Shelton's season-opening streak for longest by an Express player this season.
Round Rock and Reno continue the four-game series Friday with a 7:05 p.m. CDT first pitch at The Dell Diamond. The Express send out southpaw Polin Trinidad (2-1, 3.41), while the Aces counter with right-hander Wes Roemer (0-0, 0.00).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 20, 2010
- Red-Hot Zawadzki Helps Beavers Beat RedHawks - Portland Beavers
- Memphis Strikes Early to Topple Sacramento - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Open Road Trip with 6-2 Loss to PCL-Leading Grizzlies - Nashville Sounds
- Johnson Powers Express past Reno, 9-4 - Round Rock Express
- Aces Tripped Up in Round Rock - Reno Aces
- Cubs Triumph over Sky Sox, 11-7 - Iowa Cubs
- Triple-A All-Star Game Fan Voting Begins June 3 - PCL
- Round Rock Express Game Notes - Round Rock Express
- Rock Cats Spoil Series Finale, 6-2 - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Jeremy Hill Retires - Salt Lake Bees
- Korn, Dogs On Tap Monday At Rosenblatt - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express Partners with StellarAlgo
- Round Rock Express INF Abraham Toro, RHP Cristian Javier Named Houston Astros Minor League Players of the Year
- River Cats Top Express 7-5 in Season-Ending Heartbreaker
- Houston Astros SS Carlos Correa Joins Round Rock Express for Major League Rehab Assignment on Friday Night
- River Cats Top Express 4-2 in PCL Championship Game Two