Aces Tripped Up in Round Rock
ROUND ROCK, Texas-Cole Gillespie returned to the Aces from the big leagues and gave Reno an early lead with a first-inning RBI double, but the Aces' lead would be short-lived in a 9-4 Round Rock Express victory in the series opener at Dell Diamond.
Gillespie, optioned to Reno on Wednesday by the Arizona Diamondbacks, smashed a run-scoring double to left in his first plate appearance, chasing home Doug Deeds from third and putting the Aces on top, 1-0.
But that lead would be erased very quickly. The Express scored twice in the third, added another run in the fourth and put the game away with six runs over the sixth and seventh innings.
Reno starter Matt Torra (2-2) took the loss, surrendering five earned runs on nine hits over six innings of work. Zach Kroenke came on in the seventh and allowed four earned runs.
The win went to Round Rock starter Josh Banks (4-3), who scattered three runs-two earned-on seven hits over six frames.
Doug Deeds and Ed Rogers led Reno at the plate with two hits apiece. Eight of nine Reno starters collected at least one hit on the evening.
The series continues on Friday night. RHP Wes Roemer will make his Triple-A debut for the Aces, while the Express turn to LHP Polin Trinidad (2-1, 3.41 ERA). First pitch from Dell Diamond in Round Rock is set for 5:05 p.m. PT, and all the action can be heard live in Reno on Fox Sports Radio 1450 AM or by visiting www.RenoAces.com.
The Aces return home Friday, May 28, for a 7:05 p.m. contest against Sacramento, which kicks off a four-game set against the River Cats.
Tickets for all Aces games start at just $7, and are available by calling the Reno Aces box office at (775) 334-7000 or by visiting RenoAces.com. The brand-new Freight House District, located just outside Aces Ballpark, is open seven days a week, on both game days and non-game days.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 20, 2010
- Red-Hot Zawadzki Helps Beavers Beat RedHawks - Portland Beavers
- Memphis Strikes Early to Topple Sacramento - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Open Road Trip with 6-2 Loss to PCL-Leading Grizzlies - Nashville Sounds
- Johnson Powers Express past Reno, 9-4 - Round Rock Express
- Aces Tripped Up in Round Rock - Reno Aces
- Cubs Triumph over Sky Sox, 11-7 - Iowa Cubs
- Triple-A All-Star Game Fan Voting Begins June 3 - PCL
- Round Rock Express Game Notes - Round Rock Express
- Rock Cats Spoil Series Finale, 6-2 - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Jeremy Hill Retires - Salt Lake Bees
- Korn, Dogs On Tap Monday At Rosenblatt - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled
- Reno Aces, Reno 1868 FC Share Support of Greater Nevada Credit Union
- Aces and 1868 FC Corporate Partners Offer Business and Job Opportunities
- 4.9.20 Reno Aces Release City Pride On-Field "BLC" Cap
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Food Bank of Northern Nevada