Jenkins Named To USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Roster For November Games
COLORADO SPRINGS, CO - Westchester Knicks guard, John Jenkins, has been named to the 12-man roster for the November USA World Cup Qualifying Team as announced by USA Basketball Tuesday afternoon. Jenkins will be one of nine current NBA G League players featured.
The USA will train Nov. 23-25 at the Houston Rockets' practice facility and will continue second-round action of FIBA World Cup Qualifying play with a pair of challenging road games, Nov. 29 versus Argentina (7-1) in ?La Rioja, Argentina, and Dec. 2 versus Uruguay (5-3) in Montevideo, Uruguay (the full Americas World Cup Qualifying schedule/results is available at usab.com/mens/wc-qualifying/schedule.aspx).
The USA November roster also includes Joel Berry II (South Bay Lakers); Reggie Hearn (Stockton Kings); Scotty Hopson (Oklahoma City Blue); DeAndre Liggins (Sioux Falls Skyforce); Eric Moreland (Free Agent); Chasson Randle (Capital City Go-Go); Cameron Reynolds (Stockton Kings); Richard Solomon (Oklahoma City Blue); Jarnell Stokes (Free Agent); Travis Trice (Wisconsin Herd); and Tyler Zeller (Free Agent).
Former NBA head coach Jeff Van Gundy, who has led the USA to a 7-1 record in FIBA Americas World Cup Qualifying action and directed the USA 5-0 record and the gold medal at the 2017 FIBA AmeriCup Championship, again is head coach of the USA Basketball Men's World Cup Qualifying Team. Former University of Georgia head coach Mark Fox and former Georgetown University coach John Thompson III are serving as USA assistant coaches.
Eight of the U.S. players have NBA regular season experience, including Jenkins (145 games with the Atlanta Hawks, Phoenix Suns and Mavericks). Eleven of the players own NBA G League experience, including nine who are playing in the NBA's official minor league in 2018-19.
With a total of seven 2019 FIBA World Cup qualifying berths going to the top three finishing teams in each of the Americas second round groups and to the best fourth place team, Argentina (7-1) and the USA (7-1) sit atop of the second-round Group E standings, followed by Puerto Rico (5-3) and Uruguay (5-3), with Mexico (3-5) and Panama (3-5) in fifth place. In Group F standings, Canada (7-1) and Venezuela (7-1) are tied for first, followed by Brazil (6-2), Dominican Republic (5-3), U.S. Virgin Islands (2-6) and Chile (1-7).
The USA will complete its World Cup Qualifying competition with a pair of second-round February home games in Greensboro, North Carolina. The USA will play Panama on Friday, Feb. 22 (7 p.m. EST), and Argentina on Monday, Feb. 25 (7 p.m. EST).
The Knicks, amid a five-game homestand, face the Long Island Nets, today, November 20. The action at the Westchester County Center begins at 7:00 PM.
November 2018 USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Roster
NAME POS HGT WGT AGE TEAM/COLLEGE/HOMETOWN
Joel Berry II G 6-0 195 23 South Bay Lakers / North Carolina / Orlando, FL
Reggie Hearn G 6-4 209 26 Stockton Kings / Northwestern / Fort Wayne, IN
Scotty Hopson G 6-7 230 29 Oklahoma City Blue / Tennessee / Hopkinsville, KY
John Jenkins G 6-4 215 27 Westchester Knicks / Vanderbilt / Hendersonville, TN
DeAndre Liggins F 6-6 209 30 Sioux Falls Skyforce / Kentucky / Chicago, IL
Eric Moreland F 6-10 238 26 Free Agent / Oregon State / Missouri City, TX
Chasson Randle G 6-2 185 25 Capital City Go-Go / Stanford / Rock Island, IL
Cameron Reynolds F 6-8 225 23 Stockton Kings / Tulane / Pearland, TX
Richard Solomon F 6-11 235 26 Oklahoma City Blue / California / Inglewood, CA
Jarnell Stokes F 6-9 260 24 Free Agent / Tennessee / Memphis, TN
Travis Trice G 6-2 177 25 Wisconsin Herd / Michigan State / Huber Heights, OH
Tyler Zeller C 7-0 259 28 Free Agent / North Carolina / Washington, IN
Head Coach: Jeff Van Gundy, USA?Basketball
Assistant Coach: Mark Fox, USA Basketball
Assistant Coach: John Thompson III, USA?Basketball
Athletic Trainer: Ed Lacerte, ProSports Therapy, Inc. (Waltham and Westford, MA)
Team Physician: Stephen Foley, Sanford Health (Sioux Falls, SD)
Team Scout: Othella Harrington
Video Coordinator: Luke Stanaland
NOTE: Age reflects player's age as of completion of the November/December FIBA?World Cup Qualifiers (Dec. 2, 2018).
FIBA World Cup Qualifying
Under FIBA's new competition system, a total of 80 national teams from FIBA's four regions of Africa, Americas, Asia and Europe initially competed in the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 Qualifying first round looking to earn a qualifying berth into the 32-team 2019 FIBA Basketball World Cup competition that will be held Aug. 31-Sept. 15 in China.
The FIBA World Cup Qualifying games are being used to qualify 31 of the 32 nations that will compete in the 2019 FIBA World Cup. China automatically qualified as the host nation of the 2019 FIBA World Cup.
Five teams will qualify from Africa, seven teams from the Americas, seven teams from Asia and 12 teams from Europe.
The current two-time defending World Cup champion USA men have participated in 17 FIBA World Cups and have collected 12 medals - five gold medals (1954, 1986, 1994, 2010 and 2014), three silver medals (1950, 1959 and 1982) and four bronze medals (1974, 1990, 1998 and 2006). USA teams own an overall record of 123-27.
Results from the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 will qualify seven teams for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. Additionally, Olympic host, Japan, automatically qualified, and the final four nations will qualify through four FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments that will be held in 2020 in advance of the Olympics.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 20, 2018
- Travis Trice Named to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team - Wisconsin Herd
- Magic Drop Contest to Spurs with 101-92 Final - Austin Spurs
- Blue Coats Stop Canton Charge in Home Opener - Delaware Blue Coats
- Westchester Ends Long Island's Undefeated Tear, 93-90 - Westchester Knicks
- Vipers Fall to Legends 102-108 - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Magic Drop Contest to Spurs with 101-92 Final - Lakeland Magic
- Reggie Hearn and Cameron Reynolds Named to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team - Stockton Kings
- Blue Coats Run Past Canton - Canton Charge
- Hustle Finish Massive Homestand with Tough Turkey Week Tests - Memphis Hustle
- Bates-Diop Assigned to Iowa - Iowa Wolves
- USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Roster Announced for November Games - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Chasson Randle to Play for Team USA Fiba World Cup Qualifying Team - Capital City Go-Go
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Allison Feaster to Lead NBA G League Professional Path; Rod Strickland Hired as Program Manager - G League
- Jenkins Named To USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Roster For November Games - Westchester Knicks
- Theme Night Mini Plan Unveiled - Salt Lake City Stars
- Joel Berry II Chosen for USA Basketball's November 2018 World Cup Qualifying Team - South Bay Lakers
- Spurs Sign Ben Moore to Two-Way Contract - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Spurs Sign Ben Moore to Two-Way Contract - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Knicks Get Second Try against Long Island Today - Westchester Knicks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.