Jackson Powers Tulsa Past Hooks
CORPUS CHRISTI -- Anthony Jackson homered twice and Samuel Deduno threw six-plus shutout innings to lead Tulsa past Corpus Christi 4-2 Friday before 7,029.
It was Tulsa's first win in the last nine games at Whataburger Field.
Both teams stand 1-1 on the young Texas League season.
Jackson staked the Drillers to a 1-0 lead by driving the game's first pitch 360 feet just inside the left-field foul pole.
Four innings later, the 5-foot-8, 175-pound center fielder powered Tulsa to a 3-0 advantage with a backside berm shot to left. The Drillers' second run was scored by Deduno, who reached after his sharp liner ricocheted off pitcher Polin Trinidad into left field.
Tulsa added on in the sixth with singles by Jeff Kindel, Daniel Carte and Cole Garner.
Deduno (1-0), who cruised through the first 4 2/3 innings before allowing a 90-foot single down the third-base line to Brian Esposito, threw 37 pitches in the first four frames. He permitted three hits, walked two and struck out six. Deduno exited after consecutive singles by Jhon Florentino and Mark Ori to begin the seventh.
Shane Lindsay came on to work two scoreless innings for Tulsa and recorded two strikeouts.
The Hooks touched Andrew Johnston for two runs in the ninth. He was greeted with singles from Collin DeLome and Drew Meyer and surrendered a sacrifice fly to Florentino for Corpus Christi's initial run. Johnston then walked Ori on four pitches and struck out Mitch Einertson and Esposito to push across the game's final run.
Trinidad (0-1) lasted six innings. He was responsible for seven hits, a walk and six strikeouts. Chad Wagler and T.J. Burton teamed for three scoreless innings.
The teams conclude their three-game series at 7:05 Saturday with Tulsa southpaw Keith Weiser (8-12 in 2008) vs. Casey Hudspeth (also 8-12). The first 2,500 fans receive a Hooks fleece blanket, courtesy of your Coastal Bend Chevy Dealers.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from April 10, 2009
- RoughRiders shut out Springfield - Frisco RoughRiders
- Frisco Exacts Revenge; Cards and Andy's Team Up for New Treat! - Springfield Cardinals
- Jackson Powers Tulsa Past Hooks - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Naturals' bats alive vs. Missions Friday - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Deduno, Jackson Lead Drillers To First Win - Tulsa Drillers
- Drillers Home Opener Thursday! - Tulsa Drillers
- Cards Hammer Riders on Opening Night - Springfield Cardinals
- Seventh Separates Hooks from Tulsa - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.