Jacks Top Missouri in Shootout, 4-3
(Independence, MO) - Jeff Pierce scored the shootout winner and Joel Martin made the key save as the Odessa Jackalopes beat the Missouri Mavericks on Friday night at the Independence Events Center, 4-3, in a six-round shootout. The win pulls Odessa within one point of locking up the top seed in the Southern Conference.
Odessa improves to 44-11-4 on the season. Joel Martin stopped 27 shots to earn his 24th win of the season.
Overtime was needed as both teams traded third period goals to tie the game at 3-3. Phil Plante and Sebastien Thinel each scored to give Odessa a 3-2 lead. Mike Burgoyne, however, recorded his second goal of the game at 14:51 to knot the game again.
Odessa scored in each of the last four rounds of the shootout in the win. Jeff Pierce was credited with the game-winner, his ninth of the season and his second of the game.
Pierce scored the only goal of the first period at 12:43 to give Odessa a 1-0 lead as he converted a centering feed from behind the net by Sebastien Thinel for his 29th of the season.
The Mavericks tallied a pair of goals in period two to take a 2-1 lead. Mike Burgoyne wristed a power play goal from the top of the left circle at 5:53 to tie the game. Then, Jeff MacDermid scored after burying a loose puck in the goal crease at 13:43. MacDermid's goal resulted from a centering pass in the left-wing corner that bounced off a crowd of players in front of the net.
Thinel's first period assist extended his assist streak to seven games, tying the team-high this season. Collin Circelli also extended his point streak to six-games. Pierce's game-winning goal ties him the CHL lead with nine on the season.
The Jackalopes are Mavericks close their weekend set on Saturday at 7:05 PM. The game can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is in the middle of their 13th season in the Permian Basin. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 12, 2010
- Eagles Win 11-6 in Record-Setting Game - Colorado Eagles
- Bucks Clinch Playoff Berth, Tie Texas For Third - Laredo Bucks
- Rush Lose First Game in Overtime, 5-4 to Americans - Rapid City Rush
- Special teams fuel Americans' 5-4 OT win over Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Mavs Fall to Odessa in Shootout, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- RiverKings Blast Brahmas 7-3 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Jacks Top Missouri in Shootout, 4-3 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Ugly game serves for ugly loss, lose 7-3 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Wichita clips Amarillo - Amarillo Gorillas
- Thunder Squashes Gorillas - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Host Ryan Christian Love Fund Auction Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- CHL Announces Athletic Trainer, Equipment Manager Of The Year - CHL
- Go Green Week, Pooch On The Pond This Sunday - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Add Fletcher To Roster - Laredo Bucks
- Gorillas on 1550 AM Saturday, "Throwback Game" Tonight - Amarillo Gorillas
- Josh Chase Returns To Jackalopes - Odessa Jackalopes
- Shots From The Point - CHL
- RiverKings Open Home Weekend Vs. Brahmas Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.