Jacks Pick Up First Win of Season, 4-1, Over Mallards
MOLINE, IL - After giving up a goal just nine seconds into the game, the Odessa Jackalopes countered with four unanswered and 23 saves from Marc-Antoine Gelinas in a 4-1 win over the Quad City Mallards on Saturday night at iWireless Center. Sebastien Thinel recorded his first two goals of the season in the win.
Patrick Levesque scored the lone goal of the game for Quad City just nine seconds into the contest. Levesque took a puck into the left circle on a rush and snapped it into the top right corner for a 1-0, Mallard lead.
Odessa's Mike Ramsay scored the first goal of the game for the Jacks on a shot from the right point. Phil Plante's screen of goaltender Michael Robinson set up Ramsay's power play goal at 7:18 and brought the opening period to a close at 1-1.
Jeff Pierce put the Jackalopes up 1:45 into the second period after Todd Robinson's feed from behind the net found Pierce in the slot. Pierre-Olivier Beaulieu picked up the second assist on Pierce's goal. Thinel netted his first of the game on a shorthanded, two-on-one rush. Thinel carried the puck into the left circle before placing a wrist shot inside the near post at 15:09.
Thinel's second goal of the contest came on a bad angled shot from the left-wing boards that snuck between the legs of Robinson and in the net with less than two minutes remaining in the period. Neither team scored in the third as Odessa solidified the 4-1 win. Thinel finished the game with three points to lead all skaters.
Gelinas 23 saves were enough to earn his first professional win. Quad City replaced Robinson at the start of the third period with goaltender David Brown, who stopped all seven shots he faced. Robinson finished with17 saves.
The Jackalopes improve to 1-1-0 on the season as their road trip continues next week when the team travels to Bloomington, IL on Friday to face the PrairieThunder. Game time is set for 7:05 PM and the action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team will begin its 14th season in the Permian Basin in October 2010. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 16, 2010
- Gems Win Opener 3-1 - Dayton Gems
- Killer Bees Fall To Bucks In Shootout - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Eagles Net First Win of Season, 5-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Four-Goal Second Lifts Eagles to 5-3 Win Over Arizona - Arizona Sundogs
- PrairieThunder Defeats Missouri 2-1 in Shootout on Saturday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bossier-Shreveport Holds Off RiverKings For Second Straight Win - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mallards Fall to Odessa 4-1 in CHL Opener - Quad City Mallards
- Bucks Get Shootout Win Over Bees - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Fall to Bloomington, 2-1 in Shootout - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jacks Pick Up First Win of Season, 4-1, Over Mallards - Odessa Jackalopes
- Rookies Lift Bugs to Win in Mississippi - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Thunder Drops Home Opener - Wichita Thunder
- Texas Earns Point In 5-4 Shootout In Allen - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Tonight's Game Delayed - Dayton Gems
- RiverKings, Mudbugs Back at It Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks, Bees Tangle Again Tonight - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.