IronPigs Beat Red Wings, 6-5, Thursday
The Lehigh Valley IronPigs continued their dominance over the Red Wings as they erased a three-run deficit to beat Rochester, 6-5, Thursday night in the opener of a three-game series at Coca-Cola Park.
The Wings - who dropped to 4-10 on the season - are just 1-7 against the IronPigs this year and just 22-44 vs. their North Division rival since the start of the 2016 season.
It looked like it might be the Red Wings night in the early going as the Wings used solo homers from Tomas Telis, Jordany Valdespin and Lamonte Wade Jr to build a 4-1 lead off Lehigh Valley starter Enyel De Los Santos.
In five career starts prior to Thursday, the Wings had managed just four combined runs off the IronPigs righty.
But the IronPigs wouldn't waste much time catching up. A two-run homer from Sean Rodriguez in the fourth inning trimmed the lead to 4-3.
His two-run double an inning later capped a three-run frame and put the 'Pigs in front 6-4. The double also closed the book on Wings starter Kohl Stewart (1-2) who allowed six runs on six hits and three walks over 4.1 innings.
The Wings have hit 22 home runs over their first 14 games this season. The long ball has accounted for 53% (33 of 62) of Rochester's runs this year.
Telis finished the game 2-for-4 with a double, homer and two RBI.
DJ Baxendale struck out six over 2.2 innings of relief work for the Red Wings.
The Wings and IronPigs continue their three-game series on Friday in Allentown when Zack Littell (0-2, 7.71) toes the rubber for Rochester opposite southpaw Ranger Suarez (1-0, 8.00).
WINGS THINGS: Benches cleared in the 4th inning when Stewart hit Damek Tomscha in the head after Sean Rodriguez's home run. No punches were thrown and no one was ejected from the game...The Wings first 16 scheduled games this season are against the IronPigs and Syracuse Mets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 18, 2019
- IronPigs rally to beat Red Wings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Louisville Drops Rain-Shortened Game to Clippers, 8-5 - Louisville Bats
- IronPigs Beat Red Wings, 6-5, Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Indians-Mud Hens Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Columbus Clippers (8-5) at Louisville Bats (6-8) - Louisville Bats
- Homestand Highlights: a Weekend of Southern Fun at Coolray Field - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Edge Stripers 2-1, Take Series - Gwinnett Stripers
- Pitching Powers Knights Past Stripers 2-1 - Charlotte Knights
- Special Mother's Day Package on Sale Now - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.