IronPigs avoid sweep with win in extra innings
(Buffalo, NY) - In just their third extra inning game of the season, the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (30-30) avoided getting swept by the Buffalo Bisons (27-34) as they won 7-6 in 11 innings. Malquin Canelo hit a sacrifice fly off Kirby Snead (1-1) for the deciding run.
The Bisons took a 1-0 lead against Cole Irvin in the bottom of the second as Reese McGuire hit a sacrifice fly to score Billy McKinney. The IronPigs answered with two runs off Ryan Feierabend in the top of the fourth inning to take a 2-1 lead as Matt McBride hit a two-run home run.
The IronPigs extended their lead to 3-1 as Mitch Walding homered off Feierabend in the top of the sixth inning. Buffalo tied the game at 3-3 in the bottom of the sixth inning against Irvin as McGuire and Andy Burns each hit RBI singles.
Jan Hernandez would put Lehigh Valley back on top 5-3 by hitting a two-run home run off Matt Dermody in the top of the seventh inning. It wouldn't last long as McGuire struck again in the bottom of the seventh inning by hitting a bases-clearing double off Tom Windle to give the Bisons a 6-5 lead.
Lehigh Valley quickly tied it at 6-6 in the top of the eighth inning as Damek Tomscha homered off Justin Shafer.
Yacksel Rios and Alexis Rivero (1-1) each pitched two scoreless innings in relief.
The IronPigs resume play on Tuesday evening at Coca-Cola Park. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 9, 2019
- Mets Drop Twin Bill to RailRiders on Sunday - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Sweep 'Sox; up Win Streak to Seven Games - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Win Rain Shortened Game on Sunday 9-5 - Charlotte Knights
- Louisville Wins Suspended Game, Drops Series Finale in Rain-Filled Series at Charlotte - Louisville Bats
- Win Streak Snapped as Eaves Homers - Toledo Mud Hens
- Indians Hammer Seven Extra-Base Hits, Win 6-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders bat 22-for-62 (.355 AVG) in doubleheader sweep of Syracuse Mets - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs Win in Extras over Bisons, 7-6 to Spoil McGuire's 5-RBI Day - Buffalo Bisons
- IronPigs avoid sweep with win in extra innings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Routed by Durham in Rubber Match - Gwinnett Stripers
- Four Red Sox Rehabbers See Action in Loss to Red Wings - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (34-26) at Toledo Mud Hens (26-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Lehigh Valley (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (24-37) at Charlotte Knights (34-25) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.