IronPigs avoid sweep with win in extra innings
(Buffalo, NY) - In just their third extra inning game of the season, the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (30-30) avoided getting swept by the Buffalo Bisons (27-34) as they won 7-6 in 11 innings. Malquin Canelo hit a sacrifice fly off Kirby Snead (1-1) for the deciding run.
The Bisons took a 1-0 lead against Cole Irvin in the bottom of the second as Reese McGuire hit a sacrifice fly to score Billy McKinney. The IronPigs answered with two runs off Ryan Feierabend in the top of the fourth inning to take a 2-1 lead as Matt McBride hit a two-run home run.
The IronPigs extended their lead to 3-1 as Mitch Walding homered off Feierabend in the top of the sixth inning. Buffalo tied the game at 3-3 in the bottom of the sixth inning against Irvin as McGuire and Andy Burns each hit RBI singles.
Jan Hernandez would put Lehigh Valley back on top 5-3 by hitting a two-run home run off Matt Dermody in the top of the seventh inning. It wouldn't last long as McGuire struck again in the bottom of the seventh inning by hitting a bases-clearing double off Tom Windle to give the Bisons a 6-5 lead.
Lehigh Valley quickly tied it at 6-6 in the top of the eighth inning as Damek Tomscha homered off Justin Shafer.
Yacksel Rios and Alexis Rivero (1-1) each pitched two scoreless innings in relief.
The IronPigs resume play on Tuesday evening at Coca-Cola Park. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 9, 2019
- Mets Drop Twin Bill to RailRiders on Sunday - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Sweep 'Sox; up Win Streak to Seven Games - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Win Rain Shortened Game on Sunday 9-5 - Charlotte Knights
- Louisville Wins Suspended Game, Drops Series Finale in Rain-Filled Series at Charlotte - Louisville Bats
- Win Streak Snapped as Eaves Homers - Toledo Mud Hens
- Indians Hammer Seven Extra-Base Hits, Win 6-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders bat 22-for-62 (.355 AVG) in doubleheader sweep of Syracuse Mets - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs Win in Extras over Bisons, 7-6 to Spoil McGuire's 5-RBI Day - Buffalo Bisons
- IronPigs avoid sweep with win in extra innings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Routed by Durham in Rubber Match - Gwinnett Stripers
- Four Red Sox Rehabbers See Action in Loss to Red Wings - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (34-26) at Toledo Mud Hens (26-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Lehigh Valley (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (24-37) at Charlotte Knights (34-25) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- #HopeningDay to Feature Virtual Baseball Telecast
- 'All Abilities' Night Features Sign Language Jersey Auction
- Pig Day Celebration to be Held Friday, March 6
- IronPigs Release Full Promotional Calendar for the 2020 Season
- 2020 Bobblehead Lineup, Jersey Auction Dates Announced