Inland Empire Sweeps Stockton, Wins Season-Best Fourth Straight
San Bernardino, CA- The Inland Empire 66ers of San Bernardino downed the Stockton Ports 7-3 on Mother's Day at San Manuel Stadium giving the Sixers a three-game sweep and notching a season-best fourth consecutive win. The sweep was the 66ers second of the year as the took three of three at home versus another North Division foe, the Modesto Nuts April 8th through 10th.
Sixers starter Oliver Ortega found himself in hot water in the first as he loaded the bases with two walks and a single. The righty got out of it with three straight strikeouts as part of a scoreless 35-pitch first frame. He ended up tossing four innings of shutout ball allowing two hits, four walks and fanning seven in a no-decsion. The Sixers took a 1-0 lead in the fourth when Devin Davis doubled and eventually scored on Alvaro Rubalcaba's sac fly. Inland Empire (18-19) scored four times in the fifth getting an RBI double from Torii Hunter Jr. (who finished with three hits) and a two-run double from Davis. Rubalcaba's bases loaded walk from Stockton starter Jordan Mitchell (3-3). Stockton trailed 6-0 before getting three runs against IE reliever Nate Bertness (2-0) but got no closer as 66ers righty Austin Warren got double plays to end threats to end the eighth and the ballgame in the ninth. Stockton (14-23) lost its sixth consecutive game, the club's third six-game skid of the year. Lazaro Armenteros hit a solo homer for the Ports, his league-best eighth of the year. Leonardo Rivas extended his hit streak to a season-best eight games for the Sixer s with a triple in the third; he also walked and singled but left the game with an apparent hamstring injury running the bases in the sixth inning.
The 66ers open four-game series in San Jose on Monday at 6:30 pm. The contest can be heard live at 66ers.com.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from May 14, 2019
- 66ers Win-Streak Halted at Four Games with Loss in San Jose - Inland Empire 66ers
- Sixers Sink Ports with Eighth Inning Comeback, Win Third Straight - Inland Empire 66ers
- Inland Empire Sweeps Stockton, Wins Season-Best Fourth Straight - Inland Empire 66ers
- Inland Empire Opens Series with 7-2 Victory over Stockton - Inland Empire 66ers
- Jeff Bain Has Season-High 7 Strikeouts to Defeat Modesto 3-1 - Visalia Rawhide
- Feigl Shines as Ports Earn 2-0 Win - Stockton Ports
- Nuts Fall 3-1 in Series Opener in Visalia - Modesto Nuts
- Quakes Take Two-Game Lead in South - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Rancho Takes Opener from JetHawks - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.