66ers Win-Streak Halted at Four Games with Loss in San Jose
San Jose, CA- The Inland Empire 66ers of San Bernardino had a season-best four-game winning streak snapped by the San Jose Giants with as the home club downed the Sixers 8-4. Inland Empire (18-20) pitching allowed just two runs through the first six innings of the game but the bullpen gave up seven rows and the Sixers matched a season-worst nine walks issued.
66ers starter Jake Lee went the first five innings and allowed just a first inning run to San Jose (15-23). Pete Maris, in his first game with the Giants tripled on a 0-2 pitch from Lee and then came home on a single by Zander Clarke. Lee ended up allowing just one more hit while walking four and fanning five in a no-decsion. The Sixers got a run in the second against Trenton Toplikar on an RBI triple by Kyle Survance Jr. to tie the game and extend his hitting streak to five-games. In the third the Sixers took a lead after Alvaro Rubalcaba doubled and then scored on Torii Hunter Jr.'s RBI single. The Sixers had a chance to open the game up in the top of the seventh with the bases loaded and one out but Carlos Sano (1-1) struck out then next two batters to escape. The Giants answered in the took a lead in the seventh against Jorge Tavarez (0-1) with RBI singles from Maris and Clarke and then Maris eventually stole home on what began as a suicide squeeze play; the bunt was not laid down but Maris beat the play to make it 4-2. The Giants unloaded for four in the eighth to pull away. The Sixers did get an RBI double from Hunter in the ninth against Frank Rubio (SV, 3) and RBI single from Daniel Cruz but Rubio got the final out with the potential tying run on deck.
The series continues Tuesday at 6:30 pm. The contest can be heard live at 66ers.com.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from May 14, 2019
- 66ers Win-Streak Halted at Four Games with Loss in San Jose - Inland Empire 66ers
- Sixers Sink Ports with Eighth Inning Comeback, Win Third Straight - Inland Empire 66ers
- Inland Empire Sweeps Stockton, Wins Season-Best Fourth Straight - Inland Empire 66ers
- Inland Empire Opens Series with 7-2 Victory over Stockton - Inland Empire 66ers
- Jeff Bain Has Season-High 7 Strikeouts to Defeat Modesto 3-1 - Visalia Rawhide
- Feigl Shines as Ports Earn 2-0 Win - Stockton Ports
- Nuts Fall 3-1 in Series Opener in Visalia - Modesto Nuts
- Quakes Take Two-Game Lead in South - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Rancho Takes Opener from JetHawks - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.