Rancho Takes Opener from JetHawks
LANCASTER, Calif. - Rancho Cucamonga jumped out to an early lead and did not look back, beating the JetHawks, 7-3, at The Hangar in Monday's series opener. Lancaster had an opportunity to pull into a tie for first place in the South Division, but the JetHawks are now two games back.
Nick Yarnall led the way on offense for the Quakes (23-15), with an RBI triple and a two-run home run. He also scored twice as the visitors jumped out to a five-run lead.
Lancaster (21-17) got on the board in the bottom of the fifth, as Ramon Marcelino drove in a pair with a triple. The JetHawks again pulled within three runs on Luis Castro's solo shot in the sixth.
Rancho kept pulling away, scoring in five of the first seven innings en route to a win. Gerardo Carrillo (2-2) pitched a season-high six innings in the win, and Wes Helsabeck earned the save after striking out five over the final three frames.
Lucas Gilbreath (2-1) allowed six runs and suffered his first defeat of the year. The JetHawks threw three wild pitches, and the offense hit into three double plays.
Carlos Herrera singled three times in the game, extending his hitting streak to 14 games. He is now tied with Rancho's Donovan Casey for the longest such streak in the California League this season.
Monday's game was the first between the JetHawks and Quakes at The Hangar. Lancaster swept Rancho Cucamonga at LoanMart Field in April. The divisional foes play nine more times in the First Half.
The four-game series continues Tuesday night. Ryan Rolison (2-0) goes for his third win of the year against another lefty, Rancho's Leo Crawford (0-2). First pitch from The Hangar is 6:35 pm.
JetHawks single game tickets, group tickets, ticket packages and season tickets are on sale now. Visit jethawks.com or call (661) 726-5400 for more information.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from May 14, 2019
- 66ers Win-Streak Halted at Four Games with Loss in San Jose - Inland Empire 66ers
- Sixers Sink Ports with Eighth Inning Comeback, Win Third Straight - Inland Empire 66ers
- Inland Empire Sweeps Stockton, Wins Season-Best Fourth Straight - Inland Empire 66ers
- Inland Empire Opens Series with 7-2 Victory over Stockton - Inland Empire 66ers
- Jeff Bain Has Season-High 7 Strikeouts to Defeat Modesto 3-1 - Visalia Rawhide
- Feigl Shines as Ports Earn 2-0 Win - Stockton Ports
- Nuts Fall 3-1 in Series Opener in Visalia - Modesto Nuts
- Quakes Take Two-Game Lead in South - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Rancho Takes Opener from JetHawks - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.