Independence Sign U-20 U.S. National Team Forward
Charlotte (NC) - The Charlotte Independence professional soccer team announced 18-year-old, forward Zyen Jones has been signed to the 2019 roster, pending league and federation approval. Alongside teammates Timothy Weah and Andrew Carleton, Jones featured for the U.S. Youth National Team in the 2017 CONCACAF U-17 Championship, scoring two goals, including the game-winner versus El Salvador.
Last year, Jones was signed by Bundesliga powerhouse Schalke 04. Joining the U-19 side, Jones featured in 18 games, including four UEFA Youth League games, scoring three goals with three assists across all competitions. A product of Atlanta United FC's youth system, Jones and then-teammate Andrew Carleton led the U-15/16 squad to its first Development Academy national title in 2017.
"Zyen Jones is young and energetic and a really fast, direct winger that can press the game really well," said Independence Head Coach Jim McGuinness. "He's fantastic in one-v-one situations and he carries a big threat going forward. We're really happy to have acquired him and he'll bring a different dynamic to the offense."
Jones made his U.S. Under-20 Men's National Team debut last March when Head Coach Tab Ramos called in 25 players to take part in a 12-day international training camp in Spain, highlighted by two games against France and Atletico Madrid's U-21 squad.
Jones will be available for selection as the Independence continue in USL Championship action this Saturday, April 20th in the North Carolina Derby and Southern Derby versus North Carolina FC at the Sportsplex at Matthews. For more information on tickets, please visit charlotteindependence.com or call the Independence front office at 704-206-1515.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from April 19, 2019
- Reno 1868 FC Hosts Undefeated New Mexico United Saturday - Reno 1868 FC
- U.S. Soccer Announces Date & Time for Lights FC' U.S. Open Cup Home Game - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. Swope Park Rangers - Birmingham Legion FC
- Phoenix Rising Looks to Maintain Unbeaten Home Record - Phoenix Rising FC
- Nashville SC Official Watch Party Set for Saturday Night at Von Elrod's - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Indy Eleven in Union-Steel Double Header - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Phoenix Rising FC - April 20, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- RGV Set to Host Las Vegas Under the Lights - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Nashville SC Hoping to Keep Clean Sheet Streak Alive, Pick up Another Road Result - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC to Face Real Monarchs SLC on the Road - San Antonio FC
- Independence Sign U-20 U.S. National Team Forward - Charlotte Independence
- North Carolina FC Continues Southern Derby at Charlotte Independence this Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Chaplain Billy Cerveny Brings Calm, Comfort Amidst Chaos of Season - Nashville SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Hosts Texas Rival San Antonio FC Saturday at Zions Bank Stadium - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.