Phoenix Rising Looks to Maintain Unbeaten Home Record
Phoenix Rising returns to Casino Arizona Field this Saturday to take on the Tacoma Defiance (formally known as Seattle Sounders 2). Saturday is also Superhero Night presented by the Mayo Clinic. The first 2,500 fans will receive a Rising superhero cape. Gates open at 6 p.m. and the match kicks off at 7:30 p.m.
The club comes off a two-match Texas road trip that included a 2-0 win at El Paso Locomotive FC to start the trip and a 1-0 loss at Austin Bold FC to close it out. Rising had its chances in Austin, but goalkeeper Diego Restrepo notched five saves to keep a clean sheet.
Rising heads into Saturday with a successful history against the Tacomas Defiance. In eight matches all time, the club is 6-2-0 against the Defiance and has won the last four meetings between the clubs. In the last three meetings, the club has won 1-0.
A Little Bit About Tacoma
In their two wins, the Defiance has outscored opponents, 3-1. In its five losses, the club has been outscored 18-1.
The club's -15 goal differential is tied for the worst differential in USL Championship.
Tacoma is tied for second worst in USL Championship in shots on target per match (3.0) and second-worst in the league in goals conceded per match (2.7)
All three of Tacoma's road matches have resulted in losses.
In Tacoma's last win, 2-1 over the Sacramento Republic on April 1, ten of the club's 11 starters were on loan from MLS side Seattle Sounders.
A Little Bit About Phoenix Rising
Phoenix Rising is unbeaten in its last five matches at Casino Arizona Field going 2-0-3 in that stretch.
Out of a possible 540 minutes, Rising FC has led for 87 total minutes in 2019.
Phoenix Rising is second in USL Championship in shots on target per match (6.2)
Midfielder Solomon Asante leads all of USL Championship in key passes per match (3.0) and is second in the league in shots on target per match (2.2)
Solomon Asante has the longest active consecutive starts streak (11)
Record-breaking goal pace
Rising's ten goals through the first six matches of the season is still ahead of the record-setting goal pace the club set last year. The club had scored nine goals in its first six matches in 2018.
Iron Man Watch
With Amadou Dia not being selected to the Starting XI against Austin Bold, no more players have played in every possible minute of the season. Solomon Asante becomes the last player to start in every match this season and he becomes the new team leader in minutes played with 532. Two additional players have at least made an appearance in every match this season: Junior Flemmings and Jason Johnson.
A Familiar Face Returns
After a stretch of three matches against teams without a former player, Rising FC will run into Tacoma's Saad Abdul-Salaam, who was a loanee from New York City FC last season. He appeared in 13 matches for the club (all starts) and notched an assist. He was also in the starting XI for the club's USL Cup Final.
Unbeaten no more
Rising's lost to Austin Bold stopped the club's unbeaten streak to start a season at five matches, a new club record. In that stretch, the club went 1-0-4 and scored ten goals, also a new club record for most goals through the first five matches of the season.
For the second time in 2019, Rising FC is playing on a short turnaround (four days or less). The club's match against Austin on Wednesday as the first instance, a 1-0 loss. In 2018, Rising FC played ten matches on a short turnaround and went 7-3-0 in those matches.
What You Need To Know
Phoenix Rising is on a five-match unbeaten streak at Casino Arizona Field dating back to last season.
Phoenix Rising has won the last four meetings against Tacoma Defiance.
The club enters Saturday having sold out six consecutive matches.
Wednesday, April 17 -- L, 0-1, at Austin Bold FC.
Saturday, April 20 -- vs. Tacoma Defiance FC, 7:30 p.m.
TV: Your PHX CW
Stream: ESPN + (U.S. viewers); YouTube (International viewers)
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from April 19, 2019
- Reno 1868 FC Hosts Undefeated New Mexico United Saturday - Reno 1868 FC
- U.S. Soccer Announces Date & Time for Lights FC' U.S. Open Cup Home Game - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. Swope Park Rangers - Birmingham Legion FC
- Phoenix Rising Looks to Maintain Unbeaten Home Record - Phoenix Rising FC
- Nashville SC Official Watch Party Set for Saturday Night at Von Elrod's - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Indy Eleven in Union-Steel Double Header - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Phoenix Rising FC - April 20, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- RGV Set to Host Las Vegas Under the Lights - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Nashville SC Hoping to Keep Clean Sheet Streak Alive, Pick up Another Road Result - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC to Face Real Monarchs SLC on the Road - San Antonio FC
- Independence Sign U-20 U.S. National Team Forward - Charlotte Independence
- North Carolina FC Continues Southern Derby at Charlotte Independence this Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Chaplain Billy Cerveny Brings Calm, Comfort Amidst Chaos of Season - Nashville SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Hosts Texas Rival San Antonio FC Saturday at Zions Bank Stadium - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Forward Adam Jahn Named to USL Team of the Week
- Phoenix Rising Reaches Nine Wins in a Row After Shutting out Rio Grande Valley
- Phoenix Rising FC Returns from Break to Travel to Rio Grande Valley
- Solomon Asante Named USL Player of the Month
- Rick Schantz Named USL Coach of the Month