Impact Takes on Sporting Kansas City in First Preseason Game on Saturday
ORLANDO, Florida - The Montreal Impact plays its first game of the preseason, Saturday at 3pm (ET), against Sporting Kansas City, on opening day of the Walt Disney World Pro Soccer Classic, presented at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. The game will be streamed live on impactmontreal.com.
"The intensity will definitely increase a level as it will be the first game of camp," said Impact head coach Marco Schallibaum. "We have worked hard for the last three weeks, so we are hoping to have a good showing. We will be focusing on the tactical side of the game as we have the type of players for that system."
Last season, the two clubs faced off on three occasions. The Impact won the first matchup by a 2-0 score, on May 5 at Sporting Park. On July 4, Kansas City beat the Impact 3-1 at Stade Saputo. Then on September 22, again in Montreal, the game finished in a scoreless draw. Midfielder Patrice Bernier scored twice versus SKC, while Felipe had the other Impact goal.
In 2012, the Impact finished in third spot in its division in the Disney Pro Classic with a record of two ties and one loss, missing the playoff round. During the tournament, the Impact played SKC to a 1-1 draw.
Sporting lost two key players this offseason to the English Premier League: Honduran midfielder Roger Espinoza (Wigan Athletic) and forward Kei Kamara (Norwich City). However, their spots were filled by Argentinean DP Claudio Bieler and American international Benny Feilhaber.
Former Impact defender Josh Gardner was acquired by Kansas City in a trade last December.
Also note that forward Nick Zimmerman, who was on trial with the Impact at the start of camp, is now on trial with Sporting Kansas City, in Florida.
The Impact will play its next game of the tournament on Wednesday, February 13 against the Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL).
Single game tickets on sale tomorrow
Individual game tickets for the 18 matches at home in 2013 will go on sale to the general public Saturday, at 10am, via the Admission network (1-855-790-1245 / admission.com).
2013 season tickets are now available in seven categories, at a cost of $295, $385, $475, $580, $770 and $1070. You can assure your spot for the 2013 season by contacting the Impact's sales and services team at 514-328-3668.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 8, 2013
- LA Galaxy Lose 1-0 to Real Salt Lake - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Bright Dike to Undergo Surgery Monday to Repair Torn Left ACL - Portland Timbers
- Impact Takes on Sporting Kansas City in First Preseason Game on Saturday - Montreal Impact
- Chivas USA Set to Face K-League Team - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Real Salt Lake Beats LA Galaxy 1-0 in Preseason Friendly - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Conclude Successful Camp in Arizona with Win over FC Tucson - Portland Timbers
- San Jose Earthquakes Unveil Landmark Youth Development Alliance with Diablo FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Bengtson Excited for Fresh Start in 2013 - New England Revolution
- Rapids Re-Sign Midfielder Jamie Smith - Colorado Rapids
- Red Bulls Sign Midfielder Ruben Izquierdo - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.