Rapids Re-Sign Midfielder Jamie Smith
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (Friday, February 8, 2013) - The Colorado Rapids announced on Thursday that the club has re-signed midfielder Jamie Smith, who will enter his fifth season with the club. Smith, 32, has played 56 games for the Rapids, scoring six goals and adding 13 assists. Per league and team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"Jamie will be an important veteran presence on our young squad, and is a very talented and intelligent player," said Rapids Technical Director Paul Bravo. "We're happy to welcome back for another season in Colorado, and look forward to his contributions to our team."
"I'm excited to continue playing for the Rapids," said Smith. "I enjoy being here, my family love it and I love it. I feel a part of this club and a part of the team and I'm excited to progress things."
A native of Alexandria, Scotland and a U.S. Green Card holder, Smith signed with the Rapids on July 28, 2009 and made four appearances in his first season with the club. In 2010, he led the club with eight assists in 22 regular season matches, and also started two playoff games, including the MLS Cup match. After scoring three goals in the 2011 season, he suffered a knee injury in the playoffs and missed most of 2012, making 10 appearances last season and scoring twice.
Prior to coming to MLS, Smith played five years at Aberdeen in the Scottish Premier League, scoring 21 goals in 105 appearances. He played one season with ADO Den Haag in Holland in 2004-05. A product of the Celtic youth system in Glasgow, Smith played for the Scottish powerhouse from 1997-2004, playing 72 matches. He made two appearances with the Scottish National Team in 2003.
The Rapids continue their preseason schedule with the Las Vegas ProSoccer Challenge against Chivas USA on February 15, and open the regular season on March 2 in Dallas before hosting their home opener on March 9 against the Philadelphia Union. To purchase season tickets for the Rapids' 2013 campaign, visit www.ColoradoRapids.com or call 303-825-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 8, 2013
- LA Galaxy Lose 1-0 to Real Salt Lake - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Bright Dike to Undergo Surgery Monday to Repair Torn Left ACL - Portland Timbers
- Impact Takes on Sporting Kansas City in First Preseason Game on Saturday - Montreal Impact
- Chivas USA Set to Face K-League Team - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Real Salt Lake Beats LA Galaxy 1-0 in Preseason Friendly - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Conclude Successful Camp in Arizona with Win over FC Tucson - Portland Timbers
- San Jose Earthquakes Unveil Landmark Youth Development Alliance with Diablo FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Bengtson Excited for Fresh Start in 2013 - New England Revolution
- Rapids Re-Sign Midfielder Jamie Smith - Colorado Rapids
- Red Bulls Sign Midfielder Ruben Izquierdo - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Sign Striker Yannick Boli
- Rapids Defender Kortne Ford out 8-10 Weeks with Sprained MCL
- Colorado Rapids Sign 2018 MLS SuperDraft Selection Niki Jackson
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Striker Joe Mason on Loan from Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C.
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Midfielder Enzo Martinez from USL-Affiliate Charlotte Independence