Immaculate Mason, Biscuits power past Huntsville, 13-6
MONTGOMERY -- Chris Mason tossed a rare immaculate inning and the Montgomery Biscuits (10-9) slugged a franchise record-tying four home runs in an easy 13-6 morning victory over the Huntsville Stars (8-9).
An announced crowd of 6,705, mostly students attending the first Grand Slam School Day of the season, watched Gabriel Martinez drive in five runs with a 3-for-4 day, thanks to a three-run homer and a two-run single. Fernando Perez, Jason Pridie and Chris Nowak also went deep for Montgomery, who scored in every at-bat except for the second and eighth innings.
Mason (2-0) took care of the rest, in firm control from the very start. He threw just nine pitches to set down the Stars in the first inning, then bettered the effort in the second. Facing Brendan Katin, Ulyses Davenport and Mike Carlin, the Biscuits' righthander struck out the side via the minimum amount of nine strikes, an immaculate inning. He would finish the game allowing only a lone tally in the fifth inning, scattering four hits and striking out seven.
Huntsville starter Steve Hammond (1-3) did not fare as well, allowing eight runs on nine hits over 4 2/3 innings. Along the way, he gave up the first home runs of the season to Pridie (in the first inning, a two-run shot); to Perez (in the third inning, a solo blow); and to Nowak (leading off the fourth inning).
He departed with runners at the corners in the fifth inning and the Biscuits leading 6-1. New reliever Luis Villarreal promptly served up a gopher ball to Martinez, his second of the season, to put the game out of reach.
The Biscuits and Stars play the series finale at 7:05 p.m. on Wednesday night at Riverwalk Stadium. Lefthander Mike Prochaska (0-1, 7.71) of the Biscuits will face Huntsville's lone righthander in its rotation, Mike Jones (0-2, 9.24).
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 24, 2007
- Smith and Salty Push Streak to Four - Mississippi Braves
- Braves Beat Birmingham Again - Mississippi Braves
- BayBears ride big second to 6-1 victory - Mobile BayBears
- Smokies drop decision to BayBears - Tennessee Smokies
- Big fourth drops Carolina - Carolina Mudcats
- Come High Five For Autism Awareness On April 28th - Tennessee Smokies
- Immaculate Mason, Biscuits power past Huntsville, 13-6 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Homer Happy Biscuits Handle Stars - Huntsville Stars
- Heether heads to DL, Davenport activated - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montgomery Biscuits Stories
- Biscuits Bake up Fresh Promo Calendar in the "Year of Bacon" at Riverwalk Stadium
- Auburn University at Montgomery to Host the University of Montevallo at Riverwalk Stadium
- Biscuits 2019 Field Staff Announced
- Generals End Biscuits Season, 11-7
- Biscuits Survive, Even Series, 10-7