IceRays Stopped By Americans 4-0
Chris Whitley made 33 saves for his first pro shutout and Bruce Graham scored twice as the Allen Americans blanked the IceRays 4-0 from the Allen Event Center on Saturday night. The IceRays loss was their seconds straight following a two-game winning streak and dropped their record to 5-7-2 on the year. The IceRays will finish off their four-game week with a Sunday afternoon visit to face the Amarillo Gorillas. The game will air on ESPN 1230am beginning with the pre-game show at 3:45pm. For more information, please call the IceRays at 814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
The teams played a scoreless first period, but the bad blood from three prior meetings in two weeks was evident immediately. The IceRays and Americans combined for three straight fights in a span of five seconds of playing time. First Adam Powell and Britt Dougherty dropped the gloves in a heavyweight fight. Then off the ensuing faceoff Morgan MacLean battled Nathan O'Nabigon. Following that, Tyler Sheldrake fought Liam Huculak to complete the flurry. The teams remained scoreless throughout the night with the IceRays outshooting the Americans 14-9.
The Americans broke through in the second period, outshooting the IceRays 21-7 and finding the back of the net twice. O'Nabigon got the scoring started at 1:20 of the period when he collected his own rebound from the right circle and lifted a shot past fallen netminder Kevin Nastiuk. The Americans then made it 2-0 when Bruce Graham cut towards the net from the right circle and lifted a shot off the shoulder of Nastiuk and into the net behind him at 9:37. Corpus Christi trailed 2-0 heading into the final frame.
Tobias Whelan made it 3-0 Americans in the third period with a rebound goal at 3:14, and then Graham notched his second on a power play from the slot at 11:09. That was more than enough for Whitley who closed the door for the shutout win.
Kevin Nastiuk (1-2) made 36 saves on 40 shots taking the loss, while Chris Whitley (6-1-1) earned the win stopping all 33 shots. The IceRays power play went 0-1 and the Americans went 1-3. The Americans outshot the IceRays 40-33 in the game.
The IceRays will finish off their four-game week with a Sunday afternoon visit to face the Amarillo Gorillas. The game will air on ESPN 1230am beginning with the pre-game show at 3:45pm. For more information, please call the IceRays at 814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 21, 2009
- Jacks Lost in a Thriller, 4-3 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Shutout At Home By Brahmas - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Beat Mavericks 6-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Chaumont Celebrates Birthday With Hat-Trick - Mississippi RiverKings
- Reeder's Hat Trick Ends 'Dogs Losing Streak in 5-4 Shootout Win - Arizona Sundogs
- IceRays Stopped By Americans 4-0 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Palmer Shuts Out Bucks, 2-Lared'0'Lared'0' - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Shootout goes to Arizona - Amarillo Gorillas
- Thunder Rallies Late, Falls in Shootout - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Pull Out Hell Of A Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Eagles, PVHS Team Up For Blood Drive - Colorado Eagles
- Bucks Host Brahmas, Hiebert Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Rush Give Up Four Unanswered Goals In 4-1 Loss To Eagles - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale