IceDogs Bring Steelheads Onshore with 4-3 Win
The Niagara IceDogs ended their home regular season much like how they began it: with a win, a 4-2 tilt against the Mississauga Steelheads. The next time the Meridian Centre will see some hockey action is during the first round of the playoffs.
The 'Dogs definitely kicked off Fan Appreciation Night well, scoring three goals in the first period! The game's first tally was scored within two minutes of puck drop. Jason Robertson sent a pass behind to Jack Studnicka between the points, back to Robertson who then scored! The secondary assist was credited to Ivan Lodnia. Just around halfway through the opening frame, Robertson passed to Matt Brassard on the powerplay. Brassard, after skating along the boards to the faceoff dot, sent a shot to Thomas, who slipped it past Mississauga's butterflied netminder to score! Just a few minutes later, Thomas scored his second of the night, again on the powerplay! Robertson, alongside Ben Jones and Thomas, went in on a 3-on-2, crossing the blueline with the puck. After skating through the point, he passed the puck to Jones, who got it past a Steelhead to Thomas, waiting just outside the circle to score.
The second period didn't see much action besides a Mississauga goal, which cut the 'Dogs lead to 3-1.
The Steelheads got the first goal in the third period on the powerplay to bring the score to 3-2, but the 'Dogs responded a few minutes after to make it 4-2! From along the boards, Lodnia skated towards the net to try and get a shot in. Robertson picked up his shot and roofed it from the edge of the faceoff circle to solidify the 4-2 win!
The IceDogs would like to congratulate over-agers Stephen Dhillon, Johnathon Schaefer and Matt Brassard for their OHL careers. The 'Dogs are excited for what the postseason will bring! UPCOMING GAMES * Saturday, March 16th @ Barrie Colts (Barrie Molson Centre) 7:30pm * Sunday, March 17th @ North Bay Battalion (North Bay Memorial Gardens) 2:00pm * Thursday, March 21st - ECQF Game 1 (Meridian Centre) 7:00pm
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from March 14, 2019
- Spirit Earn Point to Clinch West Division Crown in 2-1 Overtime Loss - Saginaw Spirit
- IceDogs Bring Steelheads Onshore with 4-3 Win - Niagara IceDogs
- Bulldogs Lose 3-1 in North Bay - Hamilton Bulldogs
- 67's Move Closer to Franchise Records with Dramatic 3-2 Win over Peterborough - Ottawa 67's
- Winning Centennials Saluted - North Bay Battalion
- Season Ticket Holder Information Session Held - Kitchener Rangers
- Schedule Announced for Round 1 vs Guelph Storm - Kitchener Rangers
- Fan Appreciation Night Saturday March 16 - Erie Otters
- Fan Appreciation Night Game Preview: Guelph Storm vs. Erie Otters - Guelph Storm
- Fan Appreciation Night Sunday, March 17th - Mississauga Steelheads
- Weekend Preview | Steelheads Prep for Final Weekend of Regular Season - Mississauga Steelheads
- Preview: Spirit, Greyhounds Meet Thursday with West Division Championship on the Line - Saginaw Spirit
- Liam Kirk Named to Great Britain's World Championship 28-Man Roster - Peterborough Petes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.