67's Move Closer to Franchise Records with Dramatic 3-2 Win over Peterborough
OTTAWA - The Ottawa 67's moved one step closer to setting new franchise records for wins and points in a season with a dramatic 3-2 overtime win over the Peterborough Petes on Friday night.
Trailing by a goal with time running out, 67's defenceman Kevin Bahl sent the game to overtime with his fifth of the year with just 15 seconds left in regulation time. That set the stage for Marco Rossi to do what he does best, as the 67's rookie snapped a quick shot off the face-off to give Ottawa the win, the night after the Barber Poles clinched the Hamilton Spectator Trophy as the OHL's best regular season team.
With two games left in the regular season, both at The Arena at TD Place, the 67's need two points to beat the previous franchise record of 104 points in the season. Winning both of their remaining games would also set a new team record of 51 wins.
This one was tight from the start as the teams traded goals in the first, with Peterborough's Ryan Merkley opening the scoring before Nikita Okhotyuk replied for the 67's.
The Petes took the lead again with five minutes to go in the second period as Christopher Paquette found the back of the net. That goal looked like it would hold up as the winner until Bahl scored the tying goal with time winding down.
Ottawa dominated the shot count, firing 43 pucks at Petes goalie Hunter Jones. Ottawa's Cedrick Andree made 18 stops to pick up his 32nd win of the season.
With just two regular season games to go, the Eastern Conference-leading 67's are back in action Friday night against Peterborough for the second half of this home-and-home series, and Sunday against Kingston. Click here for tickets.
Icing one of the best teams in franchise history, the 67's will begin their quest for an OHL title and Memorial Cup on March 22 at 7 p.m. at The Arena at TD Place. Click here to get your Round 1 playoff tickets now.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from March 14, 2019
- Spirit Earn Point to Clinch West Division Crown in 2-1 Overtime Loss - Saginaw Spirit
- IceDogs Bring Steelheads Onshore with 4-3 Win - Niagara IceDogs
- Bulldogs Lose 3-1 in North Bay - Hamilton Bulldogs
- 67's Move Closer to Franchise Records with Dramatic 3-2 Win over Peterborough - Ottawa 67's
- Winning Centennials Saluted - North Bay Battalion
- Season Ticket Holder Information Session Held - Kitchener Rangers
- Schedule Announced for Round 1 vs Guelph Storm - Kitchener Rangers
- Fan Appreciation Night Saturday March 16 - Erie Otters
- Fan Appreciation Night Game Preview: Guelph Storm vs. Erie Otters - Guelph Storm
- Fan Appreciation Night Sunday, March 17th - Mississauga Steelheads
- Weekend Preview | Steelheads Prep for Final Weekend of Regular Season - Mississauga Steelheads
- Preview: Spirit, Greyhounds Meet Thursday with West Division Championship on the Line - Saginaw Spirit
- Liam Kirk Named to Great Britain's World Championship 28-Man Roster - Peterborough Petes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.