Ice Flyers Sink RiverKings 5-3
SOUTHAVEN, Fla. - The Pensacola Ice Flyers (31-20-4) downed the Mississippi RiverKings (27-18-10) by a score of 5-3 on Friday night inside the Landers Center.
In the Ice Flyers' first game at Mississippi this season, Stephen Buco scored the first goal with 12:11 remaining in the opening period. Joey Holka and Steve Bergin picked up the assists. The RiverKings tied the game less than three minutes later when Reid Campbell put home a power play goal with 9:30 remaining in the first. Paul Rodrigues, playing in his first game since rejoining the Ice Flyers, broke the 1-1 tie with 8:44 remaining in the opening frame. Charlie Adams and Jeremy Gates assisted on the goal.
In the second period, Corey Banfield pushed Pensacola's lead to 3-1 with an unassisted shorthanded goal 4:25 into the frame. Exactly a minute later, Matt Harrington cut the lead down to just one goal again. Buco picked up his second goal of the game to reestablish the two-goal lead with 8:56 remaining in the second. Rodrigues had the only assist on the goal.
Mississippi made it a one-goal game yet again when Todd Hosmer made it a 4-3 Ice Flyers lead just 1:20 into the third. Banfield scored his second unassisted goal of the game, this one an empty netter, to secure the 5-3 win with 29 seconds remaining.
John McLean stopped 29 of Mississippi's 32 shots. Pensacola swept the Three Stars with Rodrigues being named third, Banfield second, and Buco the number one star.
The Ice Flyers finish up the regular season tomorrow night as they take on these same Mississippi RiverKings tomorrow night back inside the Landers Center in Southaven, Miss. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. and fans can attend Watch Parties at both the downtown and 9 Mile Rd. Beef 'O' Brady's locations.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from April 8, 2016
- IceGators Fall to IceBears - Louisiana IceGators
- Rivermen Thrash Cottonmouths 6-1 Friday - Peoria Rivermen
- RiverKings Open Weekend Series with Loss to Ice Flyers - Mississippi RiverKings
- Ice Flyers Sink RiverKings 5-3 - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- SPHL Awards Schedule Announced - SPHL
- Thomas Returns from Fort Wayne as Playoff Roster Takes Shape - Mississippi RiverKings
- Rivermen Game Notes vs Columbus - Peoria Rivermen
- Playoff Foe Set - Macon Mayhem
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pensacola Ice Flyers Stories
- Ice Flyers a Welcome Host for SPHL Meetings, Needed Respite on Pensacola Beach
- Ice Flyers Announced Protected List for 2021-22 Season
- Ice Flyers Bask in Championship Glory, Eye Bright Future Ahead
- Ice Flyers Revel in Joy After Delivering Another Championship Season
- Ice Flyers Win 4th Title, Championship Celebration Tuesday