Ice Flyers Name Cousineau Team Captain for 2018-19 Season
PENSACOLA, Fla. - The Pensacola Ice Flyers have announced today that Head Coach Rod Aldoff has named Josh Cousineau as captain of the team for the 2018-19 season.
"Josh has been a leader since he got here. He's been here when we've won, and he knows how to win. He plays like a winner as well," Aldoff said about the newly assigned captain, "He comes to the rink every day as the same professional. His work ethic is always high and his dedication and commitment to our team and organization is outstanding."
Cousineau, 29, is in his fifth SPHL season and his fourth with the Ice Flyers. The two-time President's Cup Champion has totaled 96 points (40g, 56a) in 212 regular-season SPHL games, in addition to 9 points (3g, 6a) in 20 playoff contests. His game winning goal in the 2016 President's Cup Final with 0:00.1 seconds left on the clock made Ice Flyers history.
"It's an honor to be named captain of the Ice Flyers and to be given the opportunity to be a leader to such a hard-working, dedicated group of guys," Cousineau commented, "I've learned under great captains such as Pawlick and Banfield and I hope to take what I have learned from them and utilize it as a leader of the Ice Flyers. Thank you to the Ice Flyers organization as well as all of the fans for their continued support."
Cousineau started off the season as an assistant captain alongside Cory Melkert and Matt Johnson.
Newly named Captain Josh Cousineau and teammates will take the ice tonight for Tampa Bay Lightning Night against the Birmingham Bulls at 7:35 p.m. Former Tampa Bay Lightning Captain and Stanley Cup Champion Dave Andreychuk will be dropping the puck as well as signing autographs during the game beginning shortly after puck drop near Section 120! *Limit 2 items per person*
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2018
- Ice Flyers Shutout by Bulls, 3-0 - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Thunderbolts Tally 41 Shots on Goal in Loss to Quad City - Evansville Thunderbolts
- Rivermen Suffer Season's First Regulation Loss Friday - Peoria Rivermen
- Marksmen Down Peoria 5-2, Snapping Nation's Longest Regulation Streak - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Wilbur Scores Twice in See-Saw Victory in Roanoke - Macon Mayhem
- Third Period Rally Not Enough in Dawgs 4-3 Loss to Macon - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Ice Flyers Name Cousineau Team Captain for 2018-19 Season - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Preview: Mayhem at Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs (Game 15) - Macon Mayhem
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (5-6-0) vs Mayhem (10-2-2) - 7:05 PM - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.